Garmin 60CS Software - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Garmin 60CS Software

I am rather new to the whole GPS thing and could use some advice on Software. I have a Garmin 60CS and I am looking for Software that I can upload my Tracks, Waypoints, and Elevation Profiles to my PC with. Any suggestions,Pros and Cons. Thanks!

skiguy said:
I am rather new to the whole GPS thing and could use some advice on Software. I have a Garmin 60CS and I am looking for Software that I can upload my Tracks, Waypoints, and Elevation Profiles to my PC with. Any suggestions,Pros and Cons. Thanks!
The unit comes with a disk of software that will do all that. It's called "Trip and Waypoint Manager".

You can also buy maps which are branded "MapSource". I have the East National Park maps (24K) which includes all the White Mountains, all of Baxter and all the ADKs and the AT corridor (but alas not the Catskills). It was something like $89 and is not bad.

I've had to move a ton of posts lately. Please try to post in the correct forums.

Thanks

- darren

Sorry Darren for getting this thread in the wrong Forum...seems like there is a thin line sometimes where things go.

Papa Bear I have used The Trip and Way Point Manager which seems to do Tracks, Waypoints, And routes. I was hoping to find some software that would also display Elevation Profiles. Any reccomendations?

As Papa Bear noted, Garmin Topo 24K East is good.

Garmin makes Topo 24K Central and West if those regions are of interest. Garmin also makes Topo USA (full USA coverage, 1:100K topos). All of the Garmin products use the same software (Mapsource)--just different datasets. These products contain vector maps which can be loaded into a Garmin mapping GPS (including the 60CS).

National Geographic TOPO! Northeast is good and Maptech Terrian Navigator is also reported to be good. Both of these products contain scanned maps which cannot be loaded into a Garmin GPS.

All of the above mapping products can exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks with most GPSes (including the 60CS). I think the non-Garmin software has been updated to use the USB interface, if not, update or get a serial cable for the 60CS.

Note: software from other GPS manufacturers may talk to the 60CS in NMEA mode (serial cable only), but will only be able to exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks (no maps).

Doug

Like I said I am rather new to the GPS thing. After playing with Mapsorce some more I see that you can display Elevation Profiles but it does'nt look like you can print them or save them some how. I guess I would like to be able to throw up those great looking Elevation Profiles and 3D maps like Bob and Geri do on the Web.

skiguy said:
Like I said I am rather new to the GPS thing. After playing with Mapsorce some more I see that you can display Elevation Profiles but it does'nt look like you can print them or save them some how. I guess I would like to be able to throw up those great looking Elevation Profiles and 3D maps like Bob and Geri do on the Web.
You don't need to save the profile since it's generated from the route which you can save.

To save the map image (with routes etc.) use screen save on the PC (one of those buttons on the top above the arrow keys) and then paste it into some photo editor program (or even into MS Word). Then crop accordingly and save as a .jpg file.