Garmin Colorado 400 Not Bright

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone else find the Garmin Colorado display brightness to be somewhat lacking? I find it ok for hiking, but in a dry bag in the sun (while paddling) its very difficult to read.

Yes - I wasn't impressed with the Colorado on several fronts (I co-wrote a review for a magazine, and got to spend a lot of time with one earlier this year).

The display is indeed dim in many settings, and some of the type is super-small (they may correct that with software updates over time). I like the features of my 60csx better overall.

The new Oregon series looks promising - don't know if they've addressed the screen issue (I've not seen a production unit yet), but they've definitely taken care of some of the usability issues of the "rock n' roller" control by switching to a touchscreen.

nazdarovye said:
Yes - I wasn't impressed with the Colorado on several fronts (I co-wrote a review for a magazine, and got to spend a lot of time with one earlier this year).

The display is indeed dim in many settings, and some of the type is super-small (they may correct that with software updates over time). I like the features of my 60csx better overall.
Most of the reports/reviews that I have seen also prefer the 60CSx/76CSx.

The new Oregon series looks promising - don't know if they've addressed the screen issue (I've not seen a production unit yet), but they've definitely taken care of some of the usability issues of the "rock n' roller" control by switching to a touchscreen.
It does look like a touchscreen interface is the biggest change, however, it remains to be seen if it is an improvement (over the Colorado or the 60/76CSx. (How well does a touchsceen fare in a pack?) Otherwise, there are a few reductions: less internal memory, no RS-232 interface, no sensors (comparing the basic models of each line). https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=14902&compareProduct=11019. Somehow, I think I'll stick with my 60CSx for the moment...

Doug