Garmin US TOPO 24K National Parks, East

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm wondering how well the trails in the Whites are marked on the upgraded 24K topos? Is the purchase worth the money? I'm not very pleased with the 100K maps, and how complete the trail markings are.

Does anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Bryan

I bought the 24K Nat Park software along with my Garmin map60CSx in Sept. I don't normally use it on hikes on trails, but did on a loop hike to Caribou Mtn. in Evans Notch, by the Caribou and Mud Brook Trails. It did show both of those, but its versions coincided with the actual trails less than half the time. This is consistent with what I have heard from others - the MapSource trails are based on outdated (in that respect) USGS maps, and so shouldn't be relied on for trail-finding. (I also had my Tyvek map from the current Ed. of the AMC White Mtn. Guide, which is much more reliable for trails.)

I have both the 100K and 24K topos. IMO, the 24K topos are worthwhile for the additional detail that they show. (I keep both resident on my computer and in my GPS so I can choose whichever I prefer at the moment.)

As Amicus states, the USGS topos are not updated that often and may not show the current trails very well. On the other hand, if you like following old abandoned trails, the old maps can be very useful...

Garmin has viewers for their maps available on their website. Take a look to see what is on the maps in your area of interest and decide for yourself.

Doug

As Amicus states, the USGS topos are not updated that often and may not show the current trails very well. On the other hand, if you like following old abandoned trails, the old maps can be very useful...
The location of current trails is approximate at best, plain wrong at worst (Osseo Trail leaving from the Kanc is the poster boy :D). On the other hand, as DougPaul states, this can help for those following old trails, such as the old Osseo. No doubt that my GPSr maps helped me find the Cascade Trail in the Squam Range.

In the product description, it states they show locations of campsites, ranger stations, etc etc. Would one be able to find, for example, Liberty Springs campsites or Guyot campsites with the 24K version?

In the product description, it states they show locations of campsites, ranger stations, etc etc. Would one be able to find, for example, Liberty Springs campsites or Guyot campsites with the 24K version?
As stated in my previous post:
Garmin has viewers for their maps available on their website. Take a look to see what is on the maps in your area of interest and decide for yourself.

Doug

Hmm, Interesting. I don't see much detail in the way of locations, other than peaks and trails. Bummer.

I've been spoiled with Topo 6 software, which I used with my DeLorme PN-20unit (busted on me during a recent hike)... I guess I'll just give the basic maps a try and see how things go. Too bad we can't get the 24K of the country which comes standard with the DeLorme....