Gaspe hut useage

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
I am a member of a group planning to *sneak* one additional person in the Madeline Mines hut this spring--an action I am uncomfortable with for ethical (its wrong) and practical (we might not get away with it) reasons. Not interested in debating the concept here but was wondering if others have tried this and suffered unfortunate consequences. I know of one commerical party asked to leave after being found out.
Thanks for your comments

I don't have any specific information on that, but Mines Madeleine gets enough traffic that I wouldn't be surprised if you were detected.

Like el-bager I can't say for sure. I haven't used that hut. I think it would largely depend on if you have reserved the entire hut for yourselves..then I would think no big deal...if you only have a few spots in the hut and are potentially sharing it with other then it could most certainly be awkward.
Also if you are from the "States" it could also compound things as "typical American thinks they can etc etc..."

In Reserve Matane...we rented an entire cabin and had one extra last minute guest...I think we spoke up and paid the difference.
In Pac de la Gaspesie I was so anxious to show a visiting friend a good time
That I made a mistake and we showed up on the wrong day..a day early. The hut was full. mostly with a family..we could have pushed the issure an crashed on the porch as an honest mistake..but it would have made every body uncomfortable socially and physically.
We continued on to a tenting platform area which still had some empty platforms there we made a makeshift shelter out of branches and down fall.
We roofed it with my wifes table cloth and like an Ostrich we slept with our heads and shoulders under it.
Yup, it rained that night !
We will long have a laugh when we think of my mistake and the night we spent.
.... A far better memory than having a family remember the time we showed up and spoiled their good time.

Mines Madeleines

I spent a night at the Mines Madeleines hut in March 2000.

In the hut there was a family that had reservations and they had allowed four guys from Montreal to join them in the hut for 1 night. That went undetected. I don't know what would happen if detected and the lenght of you stay could be a factor.

My friend and I slept in a snow cave about five hundred feet or so from the cabin. I had been assured that the Mines Madeleines hut is on the boundary of the Parc National and the Reserve Faunique and that camping is more tolerated (possibly even allowed) if in the Reserve Faunique, I'm sure this could be verified with the Reserve Faunique. Having a snow cave near a cabin to warm up could be a pleasant camping experience especially if people in the group are willing to take turns.

Just a thought.