Gathering 7.0 plans and update.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After meeting everyone on the Devils Path Hike, I am looking foward to meeting more hikers at the gathering, and I vote Brador, a most excellent Canadian brew. Forget the restaurant, how about a massive barbecue one night? :D

Just to make this official, but I'll try to be there. Maybe we can do a group hike to one of the bushwacks. I can save finishing my 3500 til then cause all I need are

lone,rocky, balsom cap, and friday.

I need Balsam too but I know I can do that one in half a day. I'll probably try that from the north rather than the way I did Balsam in winter (from the notch between Balsam and Eagle)...

I don't know any better people to celebrate the finishing of a list than all of you!

Jay

Rocky and Balsam Cap Needed

JayH I also need Rocky and Balsam Cap for my 3500.
I did Lone this winter with Table and Peeamoose, and did Friday also this past winter.
I went so slow it was all I could finish that day meant to get BC but only looked at it from my way back from Friday.
I hope we go with some who has been through.
I know it is easier skipping the thick stuff and cliffs which I have not yet been able to do .:(
I'll be there
Al

For myself I want Slide, Hunter and Black Dome. That should be one day, right? :D :D :D

Actually let me suggest we start a new thread just for hiking requests and plans, separate from parties, places to eat, where to camp, how to drive, who brings the beer and all the more importanbt things that belong to a gathering.

For the less important functions such as hiking ;), I volunteer to start a thread: New Thread

Pb

I'm up for Rocky and Balsam Cap. I have Slide-Whittenberg-Cornell planned for another day. Which day doesn't really matter.

Burroughs trail loop including bushwacks

peak_bgr, JayH and any others who might be ambitious
maybe we can do a loop I know it is pretty strenuous but we have a summer of hiking to get ready.
On second thought, maybe depending on the evenings activities, we split them up over two days.
Never been to a gathering may be wilder than I think
Just a thought

ajtiv-- plan on a late night, every night. It seems the talking and fire go on into the morning. Of course, some just take to falling asleep right next to the fire.

Yeah, I can easily schedule out the hikes so as to finish at the catskill gatherings.

I know Fred and I want to do Ashoken HP maybe at the next full moon that I am here.... Perhaps the end of July where there is actually a Blue Moon that falls on a weekend. By September, I can leave off two of the bushwacks there and finish them there which would be interesting..

Jay

Nathalie and I will also be attending.
We should be arriving late Thursday night.
If everything goes according to plan we should be finishing our NE 115 that weekend with Slide and Hunter.

attendance

My husband and I will participate but not sure if we'll camp since we live fairly close. I will gladly take people up Overlook at night and open up the firetower. And we look forward to helping celebrate Jean and Nat finishing their 115 (and any others who might be finishing)! We expect to finish the next weekend in NH on Carrigain.

Dawn and Tom

TeeJay

There will be three of us arriving on Thursday night around 7-8pm. Myself, bushwhacker and Maddi. Will there be someone there to get us checked in, or should we call before hand

I don't think anyone will have to make any special arrangements with the campground unless a separate site, like for Periwinkle's trailer, is needed. Hopefully, there won't be any problems with late check-ins. I will be checking with the campground on this and other issues. It's not like time is short.

The night before the Devil's Path Day hike King darren, Warren and I ate at the Inn at Woodland Valley, where we might be having dinner Friday night of G 7.0. The back room is comfy for 20, tight for 30, darned crowded for 40. But the owner is planning on punching out a rear wall to an outdoor deck sometime this summer, so there should be plenty of room for all of us.

Service was very good and the food very good, as well. It should be a perfect spot.

teejay

It appears that none of us need to bring a tent because TeeJay's Taj MaHilton can just about cover all of Woodland Valley.

I'll just bring a pillow and claim my spot.

Looking forward to meeting everybody and then immediately forgetting their names like I always seem to do.

Jay

There are two threads going on Gathering 7.0 ... one is for making or joining in on hiking plans, the other is for letting us all know, especially Teejay, we're coming. Check the heading for which one would serve your intended purpose best.

Last edited:
Gee Mark, I missed that in today's paper. I'll have to go read it. It seems like every year or two there are a few problem bears up in Phoenicia. Remeber that one a couple of years ago that broke into an old ladies litchen 5 times? I think she finally shot it.
I had one here at the house this week, and saw two up in diamond notch two weeks ago. Something about the conditions has brought them down early this year I think.
Reminds me of the guy in a hunting camp that was sent out for water after dark. He came running back into camp saying that there was a bear sitting in the spring and there was no way he was gonna get water. One of the other guys blew him off with the wave of a hand and said "that bear is more afraid of you than you are of him". The water fetcher quickly replied "Well, if thats the case, then that water isn't fit to drink anyway".:)
Happy Hiking,
Tom

...Bears oh my

wow I have heard alot of stories about the bears in the area, I go to Woodland Valley CG 6 times a year and beleive it or not have never seen one.
By the way yesterday I ran across two at separate occasions one on the snowmobile trail to KHP early morning and one on the way down Rusk in the afternoon.
First and second bears I have ever seen in the Catskills.

Well I won't tell my kids about this or they will refuse to go to Woodland Valley next weekend.
Thanks for the alert. Al

Uhhh, guess I got here late

The dates are in my calendar. I have never been to that area to hike, so it sounds great. I have been almost too busy lately to get away, but I hope to see you folks.

TJ:

I realized I never officially RSVP'ed, so I am now! I'll be arriving late on Friday, just like for DP -- will I have to break into the campground again ???

Laura