Geocachers Spot Another Bogus Summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use automotive antifreeze in it. Just make sure that you mix a single batch prior to filling the tube so it all has the same density. (It is poisonous, so don't drink it or dump it out in the field. Animals like the sweet taste of ethylene glycol and have been known to drink it.)

Ethanol mixed in with the water will also reduce the freezing point and will be consumable after the fact. :) (You might want to use medical grade tubing if you plan on drinking the contents...)

Salt or calcium chloride would work too. (Salt is a terrestrial plant poison, don't know about calcium chloride.)

Doug
80 proof vodka will freeze at about -16 °F. :cool:

Survey equipment rental

If you want the information as to where I rent my survey equipment send me a PM. They are located north of Boston near routes 128 and 93. The deliver to me in Salem, NH for a $5 fee.

I would like to see your results. I can't imagine lugging a hose filled with liquid to the top of Owls Head. I don't think I would want to carry the tripod for that matter either. the level itself is small and packable.

Have fun on your excursion!

Jim