getting a newborn out there

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
hi all - as a proud papa (7 weeks on tuesday)- was wondering what others have done with newborns getting them out camping, hiking etc..

any advice would be great - as I haven't a clue on how early I can get out there and stuff with him - I will ask the doctor - but seeing what you folks have done. I guess I would be most worried about bugs, sun, etc..

is the baby ever too young? should I wait until a 1 year old, etc...

not talking about doing ice and rock climbs with the baby - but something like a tucks ravine trail or old bridle path, white dot on monadnock, etc... - in one of them childpacks. overnight camping, etc.

My uneducated butt in this area is telling me it should be fine - but these days, you can get arrested for child-neglect if the wrong descion is made!! so.....

what have some of you folks done in this situation?

thanks

What are you waiting for? Get out there! Serioiusly, they are a lot more resilient than you think. I took my 3 month old on a 2 week road trip to NC. Day hikes were no problem - just keep 'em covered from the sun. Wouldn't subject them to the black flies at that age (or any age, for that matter). I did wait 'til they were competent walkers before taking my daughters caving. Overnite backpacks are more of a problem just because of the logistics - diapers, larger tents, etc etc.

From a paranoid Father

Giggy -

Congrats on the new baby! I think our oldest was 2 before we took him out car camping. That decision was based on we didnt know how he would react to certain bug bites, vine scratches etc. Also never like the idea of being that far away from a vehicle in case of an emergency so never took him on the trails when he was a baby.

Camping also poses the issues of keeping the kids stuff clean, sterilizing bottles, etc. But most importantly I didnt want to draw the ire of those camping around us at 2:00am when baby Noah wanted to be fed, changed or played with! :p

Every parent has their own sense of how to raise their own kid. Go with your gut since the instruction manual doesnt exist! :D

-PJ-

Last edited:
common sense: all you need

Keep 'em cool, or warm, depending on the time of year, fed, and changed, and they will LOVE the increased togetherness/cuddling that comes from being with/on you. Don't fall. That's really about it. Heat regulation was our only real challenge.

Enjoy.

First off congratulations. I have a 14 month old and had the same types of questions last summer when he was a couple months old.

Basically we started out with one of those 'Baby Bjorn' or whatever they are called front carriers. We'd go on hikes of up to an hour or so - nothing major. The biggest issue was working around his naps, feeding, etc.

I got a Kelty Pinnacle kid carrier backpack in the fall and started doing some longer and more challenging hikes then. The child needs to be able to hold their head up though before they can be placed in one of these types of packs, and we also waited until he was a little bigger to get one.

We started out in the woods behind our house and from day one he absolutely loved it. He goes crazy looking around and pointing at things, and would often fall right asleep after a while. In the winter we'd bundle him up and head out on snowshoes as well.

This spring I've pretty much taken him out every weekend for a couple hours. We hav a camp up in the Adks and have done small hikes such as Bald Mtn, Rocky Mtn, Cascade Lake, etc - nothing too tough but with 28 pounds on my back I get a good workout. When we're home in Syracuse I try to hit the local parks and trails.

He knows that weekends are backpack time and gets excited every time I get it out.

As this summer progresses I'll begin taking him out for long day hikes and hope to get up a high peak like Cascade with him if we can time a nice day right. I bought a bug net that fits the pack which I started using on memorial day weekend up in the Adks as the bugs were horrible, but hopefully after another few weeks I won't have to use it anymore.

I basically try to keep a hat on him, and keep him covered up using light shirts with long sleeves. Stopping every so often and taking him out to stretch out also helps.

I'm avoiding an overnight simply due to the logistics of feeding him, diapers, not sure how he'd sleep, etc. Probably give it a shot next summer when he is older.

Basically my advice it to start out slow and see how it goes. Don't push it too much because you don't want to turn it into a bad experience. I think getting kids used to being outside as soon as possible is great and hiking is a good way to do it.

Hey,

You're already getting some good advice on safety and some encouragement to get out there. Pay particular attention to advice from parents and pediatricians who hike.

Since the popular Baby Bjorn and Kelty packs have been mentioned, I'll just suggest two alternatives to the standard child carriers, which my son (10 mos) and I have found to be excellent.

First, there is a Snugli that actually can be used in 3 configuations. In order of age and development: front facing you, front facing forward, and on your back facing you. I found the flexibility of thisbaby carrier to be great, and it was helpful to introduce him to a backpack position.

Second, the amazing Deuter KangaKid. It's a proper internal frame day pack that also happens to be a great infant carrier. For some reason, all other child backpack carriers commonly available in this country start right with a big aluminum frame, an empty weight of typically 5-7 pounds, and very little storage capacity. This might be fine for older kids, but in the first year my little one has really enjoyed riding much closer to his Dad, and I've been able to carry all his gear plus the groceries in there too.

wow, I wish they had the Kangakid when ours were little. That looks great. We coped by having all the gear in my wife's pack, and the kid on me. The only thing it lacks, that the Kelty and others have, is a piece of the frame that comes out when you put it down. Our BIG little ones would have eaten dirt many times if it weren't for that "kickstand" when they wiggled after we put them down.

Giggy, the pertinent thing at this age is that his neck control won't be OK for a backpack yet till he is 4-5 months old. Use the Snugli till then. And I forgot to say congratulations!

Weatherman

I would stay away from backpacks til the baby can hold his/her head up well. I used the Kelty Kangaroo for my kids hiking/around town. Very comfortable.

I did bring a inborn camping before, My wife found it frustating' to sterilize the bottles, make formula, diapers, etc.

I have used a kid pack on and off for the last 8yrs. Think of it as hiking with a 50lB pack that will shift its weight at will. Poles help the balance big time!!! But the awards out weigh the "pain" The first hike with your little guy gigling in your ear or patting your shoulder will be proof of that.

Sorry, I have no experience backpacking with a kid that young.

Last edited:
I too would wait until the baby is at least a few months old before strapping him into a backpack baby carrier. I know these first few months will seem like an eternity, but you'll look back and realize they flew by in the long run. TJH

brianW said:
I would stay away from backpacks til the baby can hold his/her head up well.

TJH said:
I too would wait until the baby is at least a few months old before strapping him into a backpack baby carrier.

I don't think anyone was suggesting using a backpack carrier other than at the proper developmental stage. As others were suggesting more conventional packs, I just wanted to decribe what has worked for us in the first year.

It's all front carrier / facing Dad at 7 weeks, as I am sure giggy is fully aware.

We hiked with our older son in the Rocky Mts. when he was about 7 mo. old. We made sure to bring all of the necessary baby equipment, though obviously these things have changed over the years. For reasons already mentioned, we didn't do overnights with them. We once did camp overnight with another couple and their son (under a year old), and it was no fun for anyone - the couple, us, and least of all the baby!

I started small hikes with my son when he was 6 weeks old. We used the Kangaroo thing. He slept a lot. The more used to the pack you get them, the easier it is. My son slept a lot.

When they are little, you can use 2 head nets from Wally's ($2) one for body, one for legs, that works good for the bugs. I sewed my own bug net for the pack out of funeral vail material. Thats the most economical if you have a machine.

Now, at 2, Colden will hike up to 2 miles in a day with me, at a moderate level of incline. I highly recommend the Tough Traveler backpack. I have the kelty one, but it gave me bruises so I do not use it any more. Plus the TT weighs about 4lbs less.

Colden has been up 7 4000ers now, and I hope to hike Nippletop and Dial with him this summer, and probably a few more mountains in NH. Check out my pictures www.percious.com/hiking . Eisenhower/Moosilauke/Abraham.

Above all, have fun with it, and be prepared to cut it short if you or you little one are not doing so hot. Congratulations!

-percious

Congrats! I just wanted to add that you should really look at the REI backpacks when he gets to the point of holding up his head. My now 16 month old loves hikes, but I didn't take him till he was about 8 months for fear of biting bugs. Do what you feel is right, but protect him from bugs and the sun. You'll have a hiking pertner for life.

Congratulations daddy!!! I have a 16 month old though we probably didn't start hiking with our son until he was 5 months old (due my insecurities about my weight and my ability to hike long distances carrying the extra baby weight). But go for it by all means...if I knew then what I know now I would have hiked my heart off!!! They do nothing but eat and sleep at this age and that couldn't be more perfect for hiking. I used a soft carrier and strapped in on my front and hiked with no problems. Just bring enough bottles and you'll be fine and don't worry about nap time or feeding time they will adjust to what you are doing and if your son is anything like mine he will mostly sleep and enjoy the fresh air! Best of luck to you and let me know how you make out....

Hike on...

Congratulations!!! We've got two kids, our oldest is four years our youngest is nearly six months. Here's a photo from a trip to Mizpah Hut a month ago: Babies in Backpacks ...the other baby being carried in that photo is 8 months old. Our four year old has been out and about since he was an infant, too and we find that good common sense and the right equipment is all you need! The baby carrier used for longer hikes is a Kelty and has a sun / rain cover and also a nice big bug net (goes over the pack similar to a rain cover) that is handy.

Add a thermos of hot water for mixing formula, diapers, wipes and plastic bags for the used ones, warm clothing (remember, the baby isn't getting any exercise) and again, good common sense!

Have a great time... :D

Last edited: