Giant Mt and Rocky Peak-ADK's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
I took a nice scenic drive through the Vermont countryside and into New York on Monday morning. One of the best things about working at a bank is at that you get all kinds of great holidays off! I sipped my Dunkin Donuts coffee while staring at the gorgeous foliage while driving down route 116 in Vermont. It was a great feeling watching kids get dropped off at schools and people driving to work, while I was headed out for a nice day of hiking.

I drove into New York and decided to head over towards the High Peak region and find a mountain or two to hike.

2736533310100346498S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I pulled off of rte 73 and found the Giant Mt trailhead via the Roaring Brook trail. I decided to head up and bag Giant and Rocky Peak. It was about 3.5 moderate to steep miles up to the top of Giant Mt at 4,627 feet high. I recall the elevation gain being about 3400 from the parking lot. I got to the top in about two hours and took in the gray views of the lower Great Range and scarfed down a few pieces of pizza. I decided to head down towards Rcoky Peak Ridge next, about 1.1 miles away. The trail drops down pretty sharply off of Giant, descending probably a little less than a thousand feet before you climb back up another 400 or 500 feet up to Rocky Peak. I got to the top of Rocky and had some nice views over towards Lake Champlain from the grassy summit.

2386491570100346498S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The trip back up to Giant was quite steep and I was out of breath a few times as I was a bit tired from not getting enough sleep and fighting off a little bit of an illness. Once I was back on the main trail near the summit of Giant, it was all cruising downhill back to the parking lot. I took a few pics of the foliage and stopped to check out the Roaring Brook Falls. I took the little side trail and popped out on top of the falls only to find a family checking out the view from the top of the falls. I smoothly and quietly made my way over to the viewpoint at the edge of the stream and falls as to not disrupt the people looking at the views, and then went head over heels as I slipped on the rocks and fell in the water. At least they got a good laugh at the hiker taking a bath.

I got to the edge of the falls and saw some amazing foliage. I took this pic, too bad it didn't come out too great, as the light was really flat.

2762475560100346498S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got back to the parking lot about an hour before the Red Sox game started. I listened to ESPN radio talk about their man crush on Jon Lester and how their was no way he could lose that night. I got home just in time to see the a$$ kicking. Thanks for the jinx ESPN. OH well, good day, nice hike, about 9 miles or so and a good solid 4500 or more vertical.

A few other pics from this hike and the weekend here.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567972714sXIgoW