Giant Trail Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadpoint

Reaction score
I'm heading to Giant this weekend and I'm curious to know what the trail conditions are like, are snowshoes and crampons needed? I was hoping to not have to carry snowshoes if they aren't needed.

Thanks!

No matter the conditions of the trails DEC regulation mandates climbers to use/have snowshoes with them as soon as there are 8" of snow on the ground.

In the valley it rained non-stop yesterday from the middle of the afternoon till 11pm, this morning Giant appears to have had a dusting. On the other end I just learned that the Loj area received 8" of wet snow yesterday and that there is likely at least twice as much new snow at higer elevations.

Last edited:
A group did Giant and RPR this past Saturday (3/13). Their trip report is here. Among other things, they remark about the "knee to thigh high frozen postholes" on Giant, making for tough footing! :eek: :mad:

HH1, it just happens that only last week I specifically asked the question to a Ranger about a trail/area that is under the same regulations/recommendations as Giant and was told that nevertheless if one does not wear snowshoes even if not within the High Peaks Wilderness but there is a sign at the trailhead advising to do so, it’s then a DEC rule that is broken.
In any case if climbers keep on post holing where the snow is deep we can expect that sooner than later the 8” rule will apply everywhere!
Personally I can understand hikers bare booting a cemented but but it’s beyond me why one would choose to struggle every step up and down a mountain.

I may be there . . . I assume that all three - snowshoes, Microspikes, and full crampons should be carried to cover all conditions encountered?

Even if it's above freezing down in the valley, an early morning start could result in encountering ice as one climbs . . where any snow freezes over or melts.

Postholes seem dangerous no matter what is worn.

Blacksprunce - here is a quote from the link I pasted, which points to a DEC trail info notice dated March 10th, 2010:

"Giant Mountain Wilderness

* The use of snowshoes or skis is encouraged to prevent "post-holing", avoid injuries, and ease travel on snow.
* All trails and facilities are open and in satisfactory condition."

(In the same notice they specify snowshoes are required in the High Peaks Wilderness).

So, as far as I can see no rule is being broken, notwithstanding that the DEC is "advising" the use of snowshoes in the Giant area.

Personally, I use snowshoes in the current conditions as I dislike postholing, but at least in the Giant Mountain Wilderness it's up the individual to decide whether or not to carry them.

Adkayaker - you're right on. Just this past weekend our party of five used all three traction aids on our hike to Basin.

Just to split a hair in 4 :D :

In spite of the published quote there's something somewhere in the voluminous regs about the superseding of certain regs by site-specific regulations.

Another example would be the camping at elevation reg in winter which is pretty complicated. See ADKHP for a discussion on that one.

A very wise fungus gave us a warning prior to our hike on Saturday :eek::

P3130002.JPG

I would heed its advice and carry snowshoes plus at least 1 form of additional traction (I used microspikes, others were in crampons).

ok, now onto cell phones...;)

In the light of recent information starting tomorrow I am going to bring mine along while hiking. But first I will make sure that the battery is fully charged and that the number to call in case of an emergency: FOREST RANGER DISPATCH 518-891-0235 is part of my list of contacts, then I will keep it warm during the hike and off untill I REALLY need to use it. While roaming cell phones batteries discharge very quickly and will have no more juice when needed!

ok, now onto cell phones...;)

In the light of recent information starting tomorrow I am going to bring mine along while hiking. But first I will make sure that the battery is fully charged and that the number to call in case of an emergency: FOREST RANGER DISPATCH 518-891-0235 is part of my list of contacts, then I will keep it warm during the hike and off untill I REALLY need to use it. While roaming cell phones batteries discharge very quickly and will have no more juice when needed!

I thought you would know. The new number is: 1-800-PST-HOLE

Spoke with the DEC Giant Mountain Wilderness ranger this A.M. As stated in the DEC trail info notice, snowshoe use is not mandatory (ie. you will not be fined for not carrying/wearing snowshoes) in this area.

Nonetheless, with our current weather, you would be crazy not to have them with you - postholing is all but guaranteed in the afternoon once the sun has softened the snow.

Giant is part of the Giant Mtn wilderness area, so not covered by the snowshoe law.

However, common sense applies, which probably explains all the post holes... :rolleyes:

Jay

The trail up Giant is moderately postholed already. On Saturday the snow was quite firm for most of the way, and our group was able to use crampons without creating new postholes. I carried snowshoes but didn't need them except near the bottom in the afternoon. Others in my group didn't carry any, and they weren't postholing at all. In fact, the hard frozen postholes made snowshoes quite useless in spots.

We went on a cool cloudy day. On sunny days I expect that trail will be very mushy and posthole prone. We probably caught one of the last "barebootable" days of the season

Last edited:
I don't understand

What's the problem? I text while I drive, I miss the road side tavern happy hours and think snow shoes are for wimps who can't lift their feet more than 16". Just stay out of my way, mind your own bussiness and you'll be fine. Sheesh!!!! Buddy (as a side note, disregard the "mind your own bussiness" part if I need SAR) PS: I promise this is the one and only time I'll comment on this subject. Had some very negative experiences this season and I need remember the famous plea made by the great humanitarion Rodney King.