good glissading spots in new england?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
are there any? i've only done a little bit of this, and i love it! it's a good reason to hike for hours in my mind.

luke

My favorite peak for glissading is NH's South Hancock (though it involves a steep ascent up North Hancock, it's totally worth it.) I make a trip to this peak an annual event when there's snow just for the slide down.

- Ivy

EAST OSCEOLA!

Down from the summit towards Greely!

YEE HAW! :eek:

I had a heck of a time on the trail that parallels the slide on Owlshead. I ventured out on the slide itself a little bit, but that might be too dangerous the whole way. I didn't have an ice axe. I just used my snowshoes for braking. It was fast and worked out okay.

Also Lowes path gets so much use it usually develops into something comparable to a bobsled run

Two more great descents

Coming down North Twin trail from No. Twin has lots of good boot sliding areas.
Coming down Valley Way from Madison hut. We made it down in about 1 1/2 hours and were doing quite a bit of stopping. Needless to say we were also doing some great boot sliding.

Kinsman Ridge Trail

With the new ski-glade trail that follows part of the Kinsman ridge trail there is awesome glissading right now. Nice deep snow, nicely carved up by the skiers. I even passed a couple on skis yesterday on my descent from the summit, I was flying!

We got some excellent rides down Fishin Jimmy this weekend.
Right up until a hidden branch took a bite out of Mrs KD's windpants-ouch! :eek:

My vote would also go to South Hancock, though I had a lot of fun glissading South Crocker last weekend :)

And also Saddle trail on Katahdin, but there you need an ice axe to self-arrest.

Old Speck- if your behind is like a bobsled you can chop some serious time off your ascent

Flume slide - Yikes!

Definitely Ammo ravine trail to Gem pool. Got several hundred feet slide last weekend, and the 2 foot banks help keep you on track!

Anyone tried Huntingtons?

Jasonst said:
Anyone tried Huntingtons?

When it gets icy, Huntington Ravine can be a fast ride. It also has rocks wating for you at the bottom. I saw a guy break his ankle sliding into one and there have been deaths from same.

It is also subject to avalanche.

Huntington in winter is an area well suited to technical climbing, not hiking. (The easiest routes in the ravine are snow climbs or ice climbs depending on conditions.)

Doug

DougPaul said:
When it gets icy, Huntington Ravine can be a fast ride. It also has rocks wating for you at the bottom. I saw a guy break his ankle sliding into one and there have been deaths from same.

It is also subject to avalanche.

Huntington in winter is an area well suited to technical climbing, not hiking. (The easiest routes in the ravine are snow climbs or ice climbs depending on conditions.)

Doug

Sorry, I should have put the SEG ( :D ) after that post - it was meant as a joke...

Jasonst said:
Sorry, I should have put the SEG ( :D ) after that post - it was meant as a joke...

OK.

However I suggest that the SEG ( :D ) isn't a very good warning--I'm not sure I would have interpreted it as a warning.

Perhaps "<joke> text of joke </joke>" might be a good notation.

Don't forget that there are many beginners reading this BBS who may not have any idea of what Huntington is like in winter.

After all, someone did say he glissaded South Tripyramid slide--steep enough to avalanche and if it does go it is likely to carry a victim through the trees with a high risk of mortal injury. Obviously depends on snow conditions, but perhaps not the smartest move, IMO.

Doug

Last edited: