Good overnight camping trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casual Hiker

Reaction score
I am planning a mid-September backpacking trip with my 16 year old daughter, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good hike to do. We'll probably arrive in the Whites mid-afternoon on Friday, and need to back home in Massachusetts Saturday night. We really want to do one night of tent camping out along the trail, and I'm curious what people would suggest.

Right now I am thinking 3-4 hours of hiking Friday, and a longer day Saturday. How reasonable would it be to climb Liberty Friday, camp at the site near the peak there, and then walk the ridge to Lafayette, come down and head back to our vehicle on Saturday? Do those tent sites require reservations? Do they fill up on a Friday evening in September? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

The catch with the route you're proposing is that you don't necessarily finish where you've parked. The Liberty Spring tentsites are off the Liberty Spring Trail, 2.2 miles from the summit of Little Haystack. The Liberty Spring Trail is accessed from the Whitehouse trailhead, itself over two miles from the Falling Waters/Old Bridle Path parking lot.

The sites do not require (or even take) reservations, and in mid-September most thru-hikers should be out of the Whites so I suspect a Friday night would find you alone or with maybe a few others there.

But a big question is what type of camping experience do you want? Established site with privy, platforms, caretaker? Backcountry site? Random spot in the woods?

I am planning a mid-September backpacking trip with my 16 year old daughter, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good hike to do. Right now I am thinking 3-4 hours of hiking Friday, and a longer day Saturday.

One suggestion that leaves you a few options is in the north country; the Horn, the Bulge, and Mt. Cabot. Friday, you can take Mill Brook Trail out to see Roger's Ledge, about 4.5 miles then go on to Unknown Pond, another 3 or so along. This would give you your 4 hours Friday. You can cut 2.1 mi and an hour off this though and stay at Roger's Ledge tentsite if you want. Two good tenting options with no caretakers, but tent sites, a good backcountry experience, far more remote and fewer people than you will see at Liberty Spring (if that matters). Day two takes you to the Horn, Bulge, and Cabot then out the Bunnell Notch Trail. There is a road walk of 2 miles give or take back to the car but a nice one. About a ten mile day, 6-7 hours maybe, from Unknown Pond. Check out the trail map for possible loops. It will feel much more remote than Liberty Spring and, although not easy, does not demand the same level of physical exertion as carrying a load over Franconia Ridge.

How reasonable would it be to climb Liberty Friday, camp at the site near the peak there, and then walk the ridge to Lafayette, come down and head back to our vehicle on Saturday? Do those tent sites require reservations? Do they fill up on a Friday evening in September? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

This may or may not matter but you'll be carrying that tent, etc. up and down a lot of elevation Saturday after leaving Liberty Spring Tentsite before you get to Lafayette. One of the most beautiful ridges anywhere though...

The two trailheads are at least connected by the bike path which is at least one level above a typical "road" walk. I did this a couple weeks ago and it may have taken 30-40 minutes and has a pretty corridor. In full disclosure, I do road walks often after hikes and don't really mind.

Good luck.

Last edited:
But a big question is what type of camping experience do you want? Established site with privy, platforms, caretaker? Backcountry site? Random spot in the woods?

I suspect that she'll want an established site with a privy - she is a very neat girl. I'm not sure a shovel and a hole in the ground appeals to her. :eek: That said, I'm willing to try pushing my luck, and a random spot in the woods sounds good to me.

This may or may not matter but you'll be carrying that tent, etc. up and down a lot of elevation Saturday after leaving Liberty Spring Tentsite before you get to Lafayette. One of the most beautiful ridges anywhere though...
Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably sherpa a lot of the equipment to make the experience as positive as possible for her, and I like your suggestion. One reason I thought of the ridge is that we've had some great experiences up there already. I did the Franconia Ridge loop last year on September 11 with my 16 year old and one of her older sisters, and although they were tired when we finished they loved the hike.

I at least know she is excited about the trip. She is at summer camp now, and she's been talking about it with some friends of mine who are at the camp. It will be a good father/daughter time, and I am grateful to get that with a 16 year old!

One of my favorite "intro" hikes with an overnight is Mt Kinsman using the Mount Kinsman Trail. Bald peak is located 1/2 way to the top (2 miles from the trailhead) and has great views to the south, west, and northwest. Also very nice sunset views. There are some camping options along the spur to Bald. The next day you could leave the heavy stuff behind and carry daypacks up to Kinsman Pond and N & S Kinsman Peaks, each with nice views. Nothing quite as grand as the Franconia Ridge, but if you get a later start north and/or the higher peaks might be in the clouds, it could be a good option.

Last edited:
What about hiking up Crawford Path to the Nauman tent sites? Mitzpah Hut is close by and you could leave some gear there on Saturday while you and your daughter go north to Eisenhower? Just an idea....hope you have beautiful weather and a great time wherever you end up!

-MEB

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am leaning towards either Kinsman or the Eisenhower hikes. I've done both myself, and both are well within her capabilities. I'm hopeful that if she has a good time on this trip we'll do more together. I really appreciate the insight I can get from members here.

The two trailheads are at least connected by the bike path which is at least one level above a typical "road" walk.
The bike path does make for pretty quick loop closures (watch for bikes, though; it's fairly narrow and in places sharply curved for the grade it's at), and it's not that bad to drop one hiker and the packs at one lot while the other jogs up to get the car.

One suggestion that leaves you a few options is in the north country; the Horn, the Bulge, and Mt. Cabot. Friday, you can take Mill Brook Trail out to see Roger's Ledge, about 4.5 miles then go on to Unknown Pond, another 3 or so along.

Follow up question - I went on to the online AMC White Mountain Guide, and it said the trailhead can be hard to find. Is that accurate? Also, the guide recommends calling the fish hatchery about parking before hand. Is that necessary?

Thanks in advance. I am thinking of trying this one out myself this coming weekend.

Follow up question - I went on to the online AMC White Mountain Guide, and it said the trailhead can be hard to find. Is that accurate? Also, the guide recommends calling the fish hatchery about parking before hand. Is that necessary?

Thanks in advance. I am thinking of trying this one out myself this coming weekend.

If you have a map and the description from the WMG of how to find the start of the trail near the pumphouse where it's not been signed, it shouldn't be a problem. If you see someone up there, you can ask, but I would have that description with you in detail to follow. As for parking I have never had an issue with the gate being locked or with parking at the hatchery, but would again ask if I saw someone out of coutesy or park in an out of the way spot near Mill Brook TH.

A nice alternate is to take Unknown Pond out and Bunnell Notch/York Pond back to essentially the same place.

If you need that description from the WMG of the start of Mill Brook, let me know and I can PM you.

Looking at the calendar and your schedule (mid September and one night) I'd say the Pilot Range is not a good destination.

First, at that time of year up there the risk of bad weather is higher. Second, it is a needlessly long drive for just one night.

There are numerous options in the southern Whites that allow for last minute changes of heart due to weather, f'rinstance, something with a ridgeline if its good weather, something along the Kanc or Tripoli Road if its a bit foul.

Some suggestions, many of these i have taken my kids on:

- park at Linc woods, hike in to Osseo, go up Osseo just a bit and camp out 300-400' off the trail in the middle of the woods. Next day, up to Flume, and if you feel strong Liberty, then return same route. excellent views from Flume.

- Tripyramid loop - hike in 1-2 miles, camp in the woods, next day to the loop, then pack out. I did this as a two nighter when my daughter was 9. easy to do this as a day hike. big appeal here is going up the slide.

- Hancocks - park at the hairpin turn on the Kankersore highway, walk in ~2-3 miles, camp out in the woods near jct with cedar brook (tons of camping in there), next day do the Hancock loop (or, if adventurous, go up Arrow Slide, then do the rest of the loop), then pack out on return. Fairly easy day hike, easier with a night over.

I want to thank all of you again for the great suggestions. I will try out one of these trips on my own this weekend, and I am really looking forward to going with my daughter. I like the idea of just finding a spot in the woods to camp in. I've always felt pretty nervous about this. The only time I tried was around 15 years ago, and apparently we didn't get far enough off trail, because a ranger came along and made us move. Maybe with my GPS I can make sure I get off the requisite 250 feet.