GoogleEarth Screenshot Quiz

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davehiker

Reaction score
Central Mass. Avatar: Home, from Google Earth
I got this idea from a Yellowstone BBS. Here are ten GoogleEarth screenshots from the White Mountain Area. Not all may be in WMNF, but hikes to all are in AMC WMG. Some are easy and a couple might not be. Usual rules apply...just one guess per day, and guess the hardest one you know. I hope this is fun!

WM1small.jpg

WM2small.jpg

WM3small.jpg

WM4small.jpg

WM5small.jpg

WM6small.jpg

WM7small.jpg

WM8small.jpg

WM9small.jpg

W10small.jpg

#2) Crawford Notch from the north looking south (tricky). Rte 302 on the left (east), RR on the right (west)

#1 is almost the opposite view of 2 - looking east down Rt 302. Thats the White Mtn Hotel (or whatever they call it) in the foreground.

This is harder than the map test I think!

Vegematic - You got it. The slide is a good clue with that distinctive shape.

Papa Bear - You're right on, too. That spot is sometimes called the "Gates of the Notch." When you're coming down, the Notch suddenly opens up before you. I've read that it was tighter squeeze before the railroad and then road blasted away rock to make a passable opening.

Dentonfabrics - You're also "spot on." The point of view is a bit north of the notch. I knew the red roof was a good clue, but we usually see it from up on the presis. Washington seems farther away in this view than in real life, doesn't it?

Carole - No, sorry. The view is closer to the last two that I just mentioned. It might be a tough one!

Davehiker said:
Carole - No, sorry. The view is closer to the last two that I just mentioned. It might be a tough one!

Okay. How about Middle and North Sugarloaf from the south. :) (for #3)

#6 ----> I'm gonna go with Mt. Moosilauke and a few of it's sub peaks (South, Jim, Blue) as seen from the southeast.

Can I take another shot? :eek:

I edited my guess because the rules say 'one per day'. So I pm'd my guess for #7.

edited: and for #8

Last edited:
PapaBear - No, sorry. I will say that #10 is an unfamiliar view of two familiar mountains. There's been some discussion on this board in the (not too recent) past about the feature in the left foreground.

I think that #7, #8, and #9 are really hard. Not that it helps, but I've hiked to the top of the features shown in those shots. None of those three are 4000 footers, but all are reached by maintained trails. If no one gets them, I'll start giving clues or maybe wider angle shots. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I'll take a wild stab on #10. Passaconaway with Whiteface in back and the Downes Brook Valley in the foreground right.

I thought Papa Bear was correct on 10 - but I like Gamehiker's guess.

I have a guess on 7 based on the water features, but I forgot the name(s) of the mountains in that area and had to look at a map. So I'll refrain from a guess. Let's just say that one of the trail names into the area describes the water features!

Gamehiker gets #10. The feature I spoke of is the Passaconaway Slide. There was a thread some time ago about the "lost" trail up the slide which generated a lot of discussion about inappropriately maintaining closed trails. Along with #2, I think this is the nicest view in the series.

I don't think chipc is cheating to use a map, so I'll give the point to him for #7, because I think he's got it. Since he didn't name it, though, someone else can have a chance. He's on to something about the water features. There's another one just out of view to the right which was a pond, but now is really just a swamp. Almost no one hikes the trail in that direction, but a popular loop hike passes through the area in the left foreground. The mountain in the middleground has a trail from two directions, but is usually climbed from this side.

#8 will be tough from this close-up view. The slope facing the observer is very popular with the practitioners of a sport closely related to hiking.

#9 also has a large water feature out of view to the left which would be a dead giveaway. There really aren't any mountains in the background, are there?

7 down and 3 to go. Good luck!

Last edited: