Goose Eye trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
I had read that Carlo Col trail was wrecked by logging and called Pinkham to verify. She said that it was badly damaged, but thought that Goose Eye wasn't too bad. I have a chance to go on Monday and wondered if anyone had any more up to date info on Goose Eye trail.

Have you considered approaching from the east via the Wright Trail? I hiked it this past weekend and it's great. From what I've read about the Goose Eye Trail, the Wright Trail seems to be far more interesting... lots of waterfalls and pools along Goose Eye Brook and it splits into two forks near the top so a pseudo-loop hike is possible. The southern fork of the trail has views that rival those from the summits.

Just a thought.

Another vote for the wright trail. Unless you for some reason have to climb the Goose Eye trail specifically, there is no real good reason to climb it. Success pond road is a long drive in on a rough road and takes a lot longer than anyone estimates. The views are limited until near the top. The wright trail has much better views and has a partial loop.

Dillon loggin will be done stripping the woods in a few years and no doubt it will be sold to a hopefully more responsible owner, the woods will grow back and the trails can return to their prior condition.

marty said:
Glad you got to do it in good weather, Injektilo...

I second doing the Wright Trail. I think it is definitely the best way to do Goose Eye.

Marty

What a difference a year (or has it been two??) makes. Weather was perfect... the exact opposite of when I bumped into you and SherpaK.

Greg said:
I had read that Carlo Col trail was wrecked by logging and called Pinkham to verify. She said that it was badly damaged, but thought that Goose Eye wasn't too bad.
:( what a tragedy considering the great job DonL had done maintaining it before his unfortunate demise last year.

arghman said:
:( what a tragedy considering the great job DonL had done maintaining it before his unfortunate demise last year.
My thoughts exactly. When I read that news last year, it was my saddest day in a very rough year. God rest his soul. He was a very good man.

On a better note, another vote for the Wright Trail, with a Sunday River Brewery kicker :cool: