GPS coordinates for Beaver Brook Shelter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianne

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am sure someone out there has the answer to this question! I'm setting up a fly day to move bark to the Beaver Brook Shelter (for the composting outhouse) and the pilot would like to have the GPS coordinates for the shelter.

First (and hopefully, correct, or there will be a ton of bark mulch in the bushes somewhere) answer wins a Dartmouth Outing Club patch - just send me your address!

Just so there's no confusion - this is the Beaver Brook Shelter on the north/east side of Mount Moosilauke.

I already got the patch. :)

Have you asked Dave Hooke? He may have them from the construction project.

-dave-

UTM 19 274721E 4879389N (WGS84/NAD83)

by my calculations (not measured on the ground).

Pilots usually want coordinates in Degrees minutes and seconds or decimal minutes. If the UTM coordinates listed are correct than here they are in Degrees Minutes decimal minutes. 44° 1.99'N, 71° 48.68'W (WGS84/NAD83). If he wants them in Degrees minutes seconds it will be left to him as an exercise. :D

Keith

Keith is right about the pilots' preferences, although some are getting used to UTM as well. I make the coordinates 44° 2.01'N, 71° 48.72'W (WGS84/NAD83), by comparing Topozone.com and the AMC Franconia-Pemi map sheet. el-bagr's UTM coordinates put it just a tad closer to the AT than I perceive from the maps, but the difference is negligible.

That is fantastic, although now I don't know who to give the patch to! El-Bagr, SAR-EMT40, and sardog1 all gave useful info. I think the difference between SAR-EMT40's coordinates and sardog1's is negligible - especially since the shelter has a metal roof that will be easy to spot once the pilot gets that close.

Patches all around! If you want one, email me your mailing address at julie.clemons(at)dartmouth.edu and I will ship them right out.

Metsky - I don't think they had GPS when they built the beaver brook shelter...in any case Hooke didn't have the coordinates. Good thought though.

julianne said:
Metsky - I don't think they had GPS when they built the beaver brook shelter...in any case Hooke didn't have the coordinates. Good thought though.
The chopper pilot had no trouble finding the site when we were building it, but the clearing was larger and more obvious back then. He made many runs, with supplies, lumber, and logs; so I guess he knew the way. It definately was a bit more of a "seat of the pants" operation. :)

-dave-

Remember this almost certainly will be done in VFR conditions and as a rule it is just like hiking at 100 or so miles per hour or slow down to zero if needed and being able to go straight line through the terrain and also being able to see a whole hell of a lot more reference points.

OK so it is nothing like hiking but I think you get the point. Finding that hut with even close coordinates the pilot should have no problem and any pilot that did have trouble would scare the hell out of me. :eek:

Keith