GPS/Map Software Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4check

Reaction score
I recently received Delorme TopoUsa as a gift. Am I reading correctly that I will not be able to download maps from it to a GPS such as a Garmin etrex Legend that I was thinking of purchasing?

You are correct. You will be able to set waypoints in Topo USA and send them to the GPS, or come back from a hike and transfer waypoints and recorded tracks from your GPS into Topo USA, and you can take it on a laptop and get real-time tracking and routing, but the only way to download *maps* into a Garmin GPS is to use MapSource (comes with the GPS) and one of its map products (sold separately).

Sounds like I need to do more research on all of the GPS terminology. From this, it seems like that might suit my purpose. If I sent a series of waypoints to the GPS from TopoUSA (that would be a route, correct?), I could use that as a safety measure for staying on a particular route/trail (especially when hiking alone). I have not seen the Garmin software included with the etrex legend. That would make things easier.

There are two different concepts of "route". One is exactly as you describe: send a series of waypoints from Topo to GPS, then in the GPS join them in a route and the GPS will guide you to follow them. You will easily be able to do this. You can use the topo software to drop waypoints on summits, junctions, major landmarks, or turns. You might even be able to join the points into a route in the topo software, saving you doing that work on the GPS (kind of a pain), but I'm not sure what the Legend's computer interface supports.

The other is the idea of "routing" which is primarily for roads, where you pick a destination and any "via" points and the GPS will calculate how to get there, what turns to make etc., and guide you there. That's what requires the map to be downloaded, as it has the road information.

Your eTrex may have a "base map" loaded with major roads and towns, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. I would be using it primarily for trail at first, so the trail waypoints scenario is my main concern. If I could transfer waypoints and check to make sure I am heading to the next using the GPS, that would work. I obviously have a lot of homework to do.

just to add my 2 cents worth, I have an etrex vista cx. the mapsource maps aren't very good for following trails. The TopoUSA (ver 6) that I just bought has better maps.

I went to a demo of the TopoUSA software and delormes latest gps. I wish I had one of those instead of the garmin.

The vista cx is great for finding access roads, but the mapping software has old data that has been incorrect occasionally. As an example, I tried using the garmin mapsource program to find the trailhead on North Twin. There is an old trailhead that is a mile from the current one. I ended up doing a 1 mile bushwack through an obviously old trail, but it was work and extra time added to a long day. It was an error on my part not to look at the map as well, but with a new piece of software you'd think you would have the most recent data. I was wrong.

I don't work for delorme, but I wish I had their new gps. Their software is pretty nice.

As important as the software may be, there is in my mind an element that is even more important. That is the ability of the unit to receive signals in heavy tree cover. Almost anything will work on the highway and above the tree line. But my question is, how good is the Delorme unit down under the trees? In bushwhacking that's the key to the whole thing. I've never seen the Delorme in action but if the reception is good and the price is reasonable, with it's great software it sounds like a keeper.

I look at gps/computer mapping as a series of layers.

From bottom to top on my gps screen.
  • planet earth
  • man-made grid (UTM, lat/long etc.
  • Garmin's map
  • My waypoints (created in Topo!) or a tracklog.

I assume every gps comes with the first 2 layers. The Garmin map layer you put in yourself and usually just leave it in there forever, unless you change locations and need to remove the old and put in a new map layer. Finally, you upload your own waypoints and route data that you create with another program such as Topo!

I have no idea if this is technically accurate but it helps me keep it all straight in my head.

I guess you could say that the tracklog you create as you hike is a new (topmost) layer.

Ed 'n Duffy said:
As important as the software may be, there is in my mind an element that is even more important. That is the ability of the unit to receive signals in heavy tree cover. Almost anything will work on the highway and above the tree line. But my question is, how good is the Delorme unit down under the trees? In bushwhacking that's the key to the whole thing. I've never seen the Delorme in action but if the reception is good and the price is reasonable, with it's great software it sounds like a keeper.
Last summer I lost signal on nearly every bushwhack I did. Sometimes for over an hour. Sometimes reception was spotty with accuracy of 100 meters. Coming back in the dark from Wyman in the ADK's last January we were turning it on once in a while to guage the distance remaing. A couple of times the thing just would not lock.

Therefore, to state the obvious, every GPS hike should really be planned as a GPS/ map and compass hybrid hike. One should be able to slip seamlessly back and forth between the modes.

(My unit is a RINO 310.)

Ed 'n Duffy said:
But my question is, how good is the Delorme unit down under the trees? In bushwhacking that's the key to the whole thing. I've never seen the Delorme in action but if the reception is good and the price is reasonable, with it's great software it sounds like a keeper.
Just to clarify, the Delorme TopoUSA being talked about is not a GPS unit - it is a mapping software for your computer. However, Delorme does sell GPS units but I have no experience with them.

Neil said:
Last summer I lost signal on nearly every bushwhack I did. Sometimes for over an hour. Sometimes reception was spotty with accuracy of 100 meters.

If I turn my Magellen Explorist whatever-base-model unit on while in the woods it takes a l-o-n-g time to lock onto satellites... sometimes it just won't do it, period. My solution has been to use rechargeable batteries and leave the unit on all the time. I store it in the top pouch of my pack, turned on. Once it has a fix it holds onto it pretty good.

I watch with envy as those with top of the line units turn them on and get a quick fix :D :D

Onestep

Neil said:
Last summer I lost signal on nearly every bushwhack I did. Sometimes for over an hour. Sometimes reception was spotty with accuracy of 100 meters. Coming back in the dark from Wyman in the ADK's last January we were turning it on once in a while to guage the distance remaing. A couple of times the thing just would not lock.
Most GPSes hold a lock better than they acquire it. So in difficult signal conditions, you are likely to be better off leaving the GPS on. Also, don't use battery saving mode--it cycles the GPS on and off to save power which also makes it easy to lose lock. If need be, stop every now and the to allow the GPS to reacquire the lock.

It can also help if you leave the GPS turned on for a while in a good signal location before entering the woods. This makes sure you have a current almanac (coarse orbits used to acquire the satellites) and ephemeris (accurate orbits used in the position calculations) before entering the poor signal area. I do this simply by leaving the GPS on during the drive to the trailhead.

Acquiring and holding a lock in difficult conditions is the primary reason I upgraded to a Garmin 60CSx--it is much better at this than the earlier units.

Doug

I second everything Doug Paul said. Both from my own experience and on his own strong experience.
Also, I have the Garmin 60CSx. In almost constant, weekly useage, I think I may have lost satellites once since last Spring.