Gripe about North Face jacket

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a TNF Denali jacket, wore it to work this morning. You can get them for much less than MSRP with just a little searching. Seems every year they sell off last years coats for roughly half price.

Now, you can buy an Old Navy fleece that will be just as good for walking around town for $25 but clothing is more about style than function. If you want that jacket, spending $150 doesn't seem that out of line. To each his/her own.

-dave-

Does anyone know if there is a version that looks like the real one, but is a lesser model or something?
Commuting in NYC I have seen metallic fabric TNF Nuptse jackets. Real? The TNF store at 73rd St in Manhattan carries some odd colors, but not as varied as I have seen on the streets with their logo, so I would think the counterfeit market is quite large. I once saw the logo typed as The North Faith (lisp?!).

Jim

2 points, first off, Bruno dont forget, J. Muir always had his tea as well. Secondly, I havent owned a greqat old fashioned backcountry wool sweater in many years, while I dont intend on retrofitting my whole wardrobe, anyone know where I could find a great wool sweater? The old grey kind, thick and itchy. :eek:

David Metsky said:
Now, you can buy an Old Navy fleece that will be just as good for walking around town for $25.

I picked up a bunch of these (old navy) for about 5 bucks each last year- I wouldn't wear them in the MTS - but they are comfy for everyday use!! I wear to work, around town, etc..

check this out:

http://www.thenorthfaceguru.com

Last edited:
nyc is crawling with north face rip offs,otherwise i would have a hard time understanding how everyone in my section of Harlem could afford them. my fav is the computerized camo print.
marmot is also becoming more prevalent.

the other day i saw someone sporting a jacket with a logo which read "makaveli" i wanted to ask the guy if he has ever read the prince but when i noticed the logo on his shirt "akademiks" i thought why bother.

charlos said:
nyc is crawling with north face rip offs,otherwise i would have a hard time understanding how everyone in my section of Harlem could afford them. my fav is the computerized camo print.
marmot is also becoming more prevalent.

the other day i saw someone sporting a jacket with a logo which read "makaveli" i wanted to ask the guy if he has ever read the prince but when i noticed the logo on his shirt "akademiks" i thought why bother.

makavelli is/was a name of 2pac, and became the name of "his" clothing line. akademics is a fairly established urban line. different strokes for different strokes man... you think this dude's dumb based on his clothes. you never know, he might have an adavanced degree from harvard. some people who dress "urban" do, and certainly not everyone that wears makavelli and akademiks is dumb.

i saw fat Joe steal the show at a knicks game

so that's how you read it
seems like you have put a few words into my mouth
my humorous approach to linguistics and POP culture offended you....sorry.
being that i have spent 36 years here i understand "urban" very well.

i knew straying off topic would get me into trouble

happy new year, time to get twisted!

coldfeet said:
The night i was there I didn't buy a gor tex jacket because even with the 50% off I couldn't justify spending $150 on a shell....instead i bought a light fleece (not denali) and their hyvent jacket for $150....i ended up using that combo when i started hiking and used it last winter at the NH gathering...

I have to agree. When I started winter hiking I went to the Salvation Army and Goodwill and bought anything synthetic because it was cheap. I still have some of those items, but my repertoire has evolved into much better items. Still, it's better than going out and spending $1,000 on new garments. You'd also be surprised at what you can find cheap when you look around at lawn sales, bargains, and even the trash bin. When my older brother and I went to Festiglace last year (ice climbers festival in Canada), we got to discussing the prices of items because so many people were walking around in Arc'Teryx gear. He was amazed that I told him he was wearing more money than I had brought in items, to include the tent, stove, sleeping bags, and everything I had for clothing.

Some people are all about spending big $$$ for the image. I am all about spending little $$$ to get the job done, and I know a lot of people are in the middle. I can't think of one thing I have paid full price for, from my WaterWorks EX filter to the Gore-Tex XCR Paclite shell, and it helps a lot. It has allowed me to expand my hiking greatly while still recovering from the divorce, which left me with significantly depleted funds.

However, when summiting Madison last weekend, Ranger C commented on how nice the XCR shell and overpants he borrowed insulated him from the wind. Over the years I have come to realize the difference between getting by and thriving comfortably, and this was reaffirmed with the Marmot Mercury softshell I just bought. Still, I find it hard to justify the price sometimes as well.

"Never pay full price? I won't buy it unless it's at least 50% off!"

bruno said:
"i mean 300 dollars for a freakin' raincoat (chouinard oughta be embarassed)? c'mon! ol' john muir could hike circles around most all of us

OK Bruno, you got me curious... What do you use for the winter?
I've been using my lightweight rainshell the past two winters, and with just a base layer I still got a bit clammy last Saturday with the temperature around
-7F.

-Shayne