Hanta virus follow up question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drweo

Reaction score
Can anyone refer me to information about the hanta virus incident from last year in the High Peaks? I never saw any follow up stories etc and wold like to know what else happened: Was there any field research at the lean-to area where the virus was contracted? What do the public health people say about camping there? Things like that..

Thanks for any info/sources.

I remember reading this whole issue earlier on that thread. My initial thought is that the "mouse bite" transmission route does not hold up. That transmission route has no history or documentation. My guess is that the leanto was swept with a broom, which aerosolized the dried mouse feces, which was then breathed in. That the most common, and well documented transmission route for Hanta virus.

The Hanta virus is a somewhat common occurrence in the arid sections of the West, including the Eastern Sierra of California. It's mostly spread by rodents, particularly thru mice feces. As tempting as they may seem, I never enter old cabins/buildings left by miners. There are frequent warnings by the USFS, USPS and BLM not to disturb or raise dust in these buildings.

Here's an interesting series of links to a recent victim of the Hanta virus, especially the one from the UC Davis Health System -

http://www.sierrawave.net/26362/on-jordan-herbst/

Last edited:
Thanks for those replies and information. Much appreciated. Still not certain, though, whether the lean-to's back there are safe or not. It's kind of ironic, though, that of all the dangers associated with climbing the high peaks, I'm most worried about mice!:)