Haul a Pulk Up Rocky Branch Tr. ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirabela

Reaction score
Hi --

Just thinking about ways to do Isolation later on this winter ... I know SOP is pretty much to daytrip in & out, but I was wondering about hauling a pulk in, doing the Engine Hill bushwhack and setting up camp somewhere in the back of the valley to make an overnight of it.

With the obvious caveat that a lot more snow is needed to haul a pulk *anywhere*, how steep does the Rocky Branch trail get? I know it gains ~2,000' in about 2.8 miles, but is it well graded or are there steep pitches? For comparison's sake, I've hauled the sled full of gear from Avalanche Camp in the ADK's up to Lake Arnold; is it any worse than that? I'd welcome comparisons to familiar White Mountain trails ...

Thanks for any input --

Matt

Hauling Isolation

Hi --

I was wondering about hauling a pulk in, doing the Engine Hill bushwhack and setting up camp somewhere in the back of the valley to make an overnight of it.

I've done it and it's not too bad. I hauled from Rt 16 to the lean-to and then up about a mile to a campsite just S of the trail junction w the Isolation ridge.

Between road and lean-to there are lots of tight turns on trail, so keep sled close to your heels or you'll have trouble maneuvering between trees, etc. You'll be bare-booting not skiing.

About as hard as trip fro Loj to old Little Marcy Lean to.
cb

Hi --

Just thinking about ways to do Isolation later on this winter ... I know SOP is pretty much to daytrip in & out, but I was wondering about hauling a pulk in, doing the Engine Hill bushwhack and setting up camp somewhere in the back of the valley to make an overnight of it.

With the obvious caveat that a lot more snow is needed to haul a pulk *anywhere*, how steep does the Rocky Branch trail get? I know it gains ~2,000' in about 2.8 miles, but is it well graded or are there steep pitches? For comparison's sake, I've hauled the sled full of gear from Avalanche Camp in the ADK's up to Lake Arnold; is it any worse than that? I'd welcome comparisons to familiar White Mountain trails ...

Thanks for any input --

Matt

I seem to recall flurry of trip reports back in December about myriad of blowdowns on trail after the water-crossings. These may have been cleaned up good enough for day-hikers, but may be problematic for hikers pulling pulks.

I just did Isolation as a backpack two weekends ago. We did the Engine Hill bushwhack, and then bushwhacked directly from the Isolation trail to the summit. I don't recommend the second bushwhack. It was GNARLY. (There's a route described on Mohammed's website that sounds MUCH better than what we did, but I didn't see it until we were back...). After summiting, we came down via the established trails (Davis to Isolation to Engine Hill bushwhack).

There aren't any significant blowdowns until you get to Davis path. There are a few blowdowns up to the summit of Isolation. South of the summit is a MESS.

The grade from the Highway to the Engine Hill bushwhack is reasonable for a pulk. It's steady and moderate, not easy; but there aren't any rock steps or short steep pitches. If I were to take a pulk, I'd pack light but bulky items on it (sleeping bags, etc.) on the way up. A lot of weight will be pretty taxing at that grade. For comparison...hmm...maybe Valley Way up to Madison Springs hut?

We overnighted in the birch glades of the Engine Hill bushwhack. It was lovely. You could do the same with a pulk - there are only a couple of moderately thick sections that wouldn't be too hard to get a pulk through on your way to the birch glades. If you're doing it as an out and back, there's no reason to bring the pulk further than that. I definitely wouldn't drag it up to the Davis Path.

My OPINION (as a lover of pulks), is that you COULD use a pulk for this trip. It won't save you much energy on the way up, but it will save you some energy on the way down (particularly if you can tie a couple of short lengths of cord to the back of the sled and have a partner act as the brakes). It's also worth noting that, again as a lover of pulks, I chose not to bring a pulk on this one, and I'd do the same again.

Hope that's helpful,
Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. If it were just me, I probably wouldn't bother (then again, if it were just me, I probably wouldn't spend the night in there either) but it will be a party of four hikers, two of whom are kids. Strong kids, but kids -- so, there will be just a bit more gear per person than we can all happily schlep on our backs.

Basically, it is an effort to kill two birds with one stone: the four of us wanted to go winter camping *somewhere* over the break; meanwhile, daughter and I will need Isolation for #47. So, this idea was born: let's all go do a winter overnight to Isolation.

Now we just have to hope for some decent snow, I guess.