Haute Route - Chamonix to Zermatt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice trip indeed !

Abster said:
2) Crowds of people on narrow trails with their eyes on the summit. A European guide book on Blanc states clearly that 'you must be mentally prepared for hordes of inconsiderate people fighting to get to the top'. :( This was validated by Heather who was actually shoved off the trail by an angry man high on the mountain. For me this was not only a real downer in terms of the climbing experience (like hiking Washington or Monadnock in the middle of the summer), but the estimated number of inexperienced and unprepared climbers pursuing a summit under a time constraint made me nervous about safety.
The trick (as we found out) is to go when a BIG lenticular cloud (also called altocumulus standing lenticularis (this one's for Doug)) is forming on the summit :D Finally cleared out and we had the summit for ourselves !!

Thanks for sharing your trip report and photos. My wife and I have done 9 hut to hut treks in Europe and are positively addicted. We are lucky to have a great guide that we go back with every summer. I never thought of writing up a trip report but perhaps will do it now that you have. We did the walker's Haute Route in 2000; have not done the skiier's Haute Route that you did. This summer we did a tour around the Grindelwald region, finishing with a climb of the Monch. We had the same idea as you, to finish our Alps trek with a 4000 m peak and have now done 11 of them: Mt. Blanc, Matterhorn, Weissmies, Alphubel, Allalinhorn, Pollux, Breithorn, Rimpfischhorn, Lagginhorn, and Grand Paradiso. We have spent lots of time in Argentiere (our trekking guide and high mountain guides live there) and Chamonix. Your photos bring back nice memories. Have stayed at Hotel Argentiere, eaten at Albert Premiere and had a drink at the "Office". Did you get a chance to take the telepherique to Aiguille du Midi? Thanks again for the report and photos. Happy Trekking!

HikerDoc said:
Did you get a chance to take the telepherique to Aiguille du Midi? Thanks again for the report and photos. Happy Trekking!

Also a classic must do for all you Skiers! :cool: