Have I Got a Nice Little Cabin in the Woods For You! (31-Aug-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
OK, this really is NOT a real estate advertisement, so please read on!

I hiked to this cute little cabin in the woods. Some of you have likely already been there. But for those who have not, here are a few photos to possibly whet your appetite for your own personal visit.

Here it sits in the middle of a beautiful white birch forest.
1.JPG

This cabin has one window (how many more do you really need??).
2.JPG

And, of course it has a door, but again . . . only one! (The photo below shows THE window, and THE door).
3.JPG

Oh! The cabin also has a toilet . . . uhhh but it is the outdoor variety!:eek: You can barely see it through the window in the photo below.
(It is falling over and needs some repair.)
4.JPG

There are some nice views that are nearby. However, you need to walk a bit to see them. Walking south for about 20 minutes will reward you with views of the Presidential Range, and the Mahoosucs.

PRESIDENTIALS
5.JPG

MAHOOSUCS
7.JPG

And, about a 20 minute walk to your west will reward you with several views toward the PILOT RANGE, such as the one shown below.
6.JPG

So, what do you think? Are you interested in this cute little cabin?
Well, I suppose in a way it already belongs to all of us. After all, it is located within the WMNF which is public land.:D

Alright, for those who don’t already know, this piece of real estate is located on Deer Mountain which is situated north of York Pond. There used to be a 40 ft fire tower atop this mountain which was in operation from 1940 – 1948. This one room cabin (plus outdoor privy) was used by the fire wardens who worked at this site. And of course, they would not have to walk 30 minutes to get the views shown in my photos! I would think they could get these same views (and then some) merely by walking to the top of the fire tower.

Getting to the places where I took my photos and to the fire tower basically requires a bushwhack. However, there are remnants of the old road that went to the fire tower. If you carefully look, you can find this old road off to your right after hiking for about a tenth of a mile from the Mill Brook trailhead. But, it’s not easy to follow in many places, and there are pieces of wire (presumably telephone) here & there which can trip you if you aren’t watching carefully.

So, there you have it. The next time you want to get away, you can take a hike to your little cabin in the woods and enjoy the day. But, just don’t try to use the privy until it undergoes some repairs!:eek::)

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great stuff, John. Where there any remains of the fire tower scattered about the summit? Just curious.

Neat find, John! I may have to check that out sometime!

Awesome John! At first I thought you were up on Doublehead mountain or something...but I guess I was wrong! Thanks for sharing this...I love seeing pics of areas I have not visited.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure I saw that cabin on LOST ...
:)

I was able to follow the trail shown on the 15' quad on my first visit, but not on my second. What about the logging road shown on the WMG map?

Thanks everyone for your replies. And my apologies for being a bit tardy in responding, however on such a beautiful day, I’ve been out hiking (SURPISE!!:D).

MIKE: There were remains of the fire tower scattered about. However, the brush was so thick that I really couldn’t get a good photo. In hindsight, I think an autumn visit would have been better. Anyway, below is a photo of some of the “remains” that I could photograph. But there is a lot more “stuff” that I could see deep in the brush, but couldn’t get a photo.
100_2923.JPG

JEREMEY: Yes, you really should give it a try sometime. You could probably do it in conjunction with doing something else since it's a relatively short hike (about 3.5 hours round-trip).

PHIL: Great to hear that you enjoy seeing pics of areas of that you’ve not visited. I agree that it is truly refreshing to see photos of new places. And for that reason, I’m enjoying your reports from your new location in the D.C. area.

MICHAEL J: Hmmm! I wonder if a film crew was sent up to Deer mountain to shoot some episodes of LOST?!:rolleyes:

ROY: It’s interesting that you should mention that logging road shown on the WMG map that goes to Deer Mountain. I considered using that road, but thought it looked like a longer approach route than simply bushwhacking from off the Mill Brook Trail. I did not see any evidence of that road around the area of the cabin. However, it was very brushy in the area immediately surrounding the cabin. Perhaps that road might be more evident in autumn?