Have you seen or heard a lost dog in the Garfield area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Thursday (6/9) between Garfield and the Skoomkumchuk Tr. jct I met a young woman looking for her dog. It had wandered away the previous day. They're not sure in what direction it took off.

Description:
Zoe is a female Siberian Husky, 1 1/2 years old, one brown eye, one blue, wearing a yellow dog pack.

The owners put notices at some of the trailheads. They provide further details that I don't remember, and give phone numbers.

If you're going to be hiking in that area, please occasionally/frequently call out "Zo-eee" and listen quietly for any whimpering, barking or rustling. And look for any flash of yellow in the woods on either side. Thank you.

If you come across the owner again, or their phone number, sardog1 posted some helpful advice in this thread:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26380&highlight=lost+dogs

Try to stay put if you can. The dog can cover ground a lot faster than you, and you're unlikely to follow it successfully very far in the New England woods. The dog may tire of chasing that deer and eventually try to find its way back to you by air scenting you. If you're moving, it gets much harder for the dog to locate you (been there, done that.) Stay put as long as you can. If you're in a low spot, consider moving to nearby higher ground where the air currents will carry your scent farther.

If you have to leave, hang some clothing that you've worn on a high branch at the place you lost the dog and check back as often as possible. Do the same at the trailhead if you have to drive away. It might persuade the dog to hang around once it finds the clothing, and someone might notice it. Put up photo flyers at the trailhead and at the place you lost the dog. Don't assume anyone will recognize your dog from a written description; use pictures. Be sure to include your dog's call name on the flyer.

Hope they find her.

This was sent to me, I can't be sure this is word for word:

LOST DOG, last seen on Garfield Ridge Trail near Garfield Pond a couple of days ago. Siberian Husky, answers to Zoey, one brown eye, one blue eye. Was wearing a yellow pack when last seen. Please bring down and call 603-823-8040 if found.