Have you seen this rock?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnof

Reaction score
Ok, this is a bit dated, but I've been curious about it since I saw it last October. Has anyone else seen this balanced rock? I'm guessing this boulder ended up in this position during Hurricane Irene's trip through the White Mtns. The bottom boulder is roughly the size of a VW Bug. I think it's pretty awesome, and it made my day after a great hike. I'm hoping it's still there, but I have no confirmation.

Any guesses where it's located? If I've already told you, shhhhh;)

boulder1 by cubist11, on Flickr

boulder2 by cubist11, on Flickr

Yep. In the Little River. It is visible from the trail, and I saw it on the way down from N. Twin. Isn't it amazing how the force of water left that balanced on top, then receded? When did you see it?

Yep. In the Little River. It is visible from the trail, and I saw it on the way down from N. Twin. Isn't it amazing how the force of water left that balanced on top, then receded? When did you see it?
Late December. I do believe I was told it has been there longer???

I was up there in early October, hiking a few different areas and noticing all the recent damage from Irene. Some river crossings had changed and there many trees uprooted and washed downstream. So I assumed at the time that this cool little feature was recent as well. I'm wondering how long it will stay up there, with normal weather/erosion working on it.

This is from our hike to Hale via Fire Warden's on 12/31/11. Not the best angle, it looked more teetery at other angles. Unless some tool knocks it off, I think it'll be there for a while.

IMG_3020.JPG

Unless some tool knocks it off, I think it'll be there for a while.

It would take a fairly committed yahoo to want to attempt that. It was interesting enough trying to stay dry while photographing it. :D

Not to rain on the parade...

But do you think, that possibly, a very bored person PUT it there?

But do you think, that possibly, a very bored person PUT it there?

It's possible. I'm not sure if there is a New England chapter of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things, though. If they're responsible, they did a masterful job, as it's around three feet wide and resting on a slippery boulder surrounded by water, with no visible drag marks. Well done, indeed :D

Rule #1 about New England chapter of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things.
You don't talk about New England chapter of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things

Rule #2 about New England chapter of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things.
You don't talk about New England chapter of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things

It's possible. I'm not sure if there is a New England chapter of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things, though. If they're responsible, they did a masterful job, as it's around three feet wide and resting on a slippery boulder surrounded by water, with no visible drag marks. Well done, indeed :D

Must have been aliens. They have the ability to work from above which leaves "no trace."