Haystack & Basin - Friday March 9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
Leaving from the Garden early Friday morning, maybe 6AM (Red Honda wagon, "MTN HIKER"), I’ll hike past Slant Rock and up to Haystack, then over to Basin, with a return via the Shorey Shortcut. If the day runs too long, :rolleyes: I’ll camp Friday night at Slant Rock LT.

If I feel up to it Saturday morning, I might go up Ore Bed Brook to get Saddleback-Gothics-Armstrong-Upper WJ and descend back toward JBL and out to the Garden. That’s quite enough, I think! And that will be it for me this winter. I’ll be sad to see the snow leave, but soon enough I’ll be out in my canoe or kayak to enjoy the Adirondack spring season. :D

ALGonquin Bob,
This past Saturday, 3/3, our group of six beat in a trail up Chicken Coop Brook to about 4000'. Over 4 hours from the leanto to this high point. There was extremly deep unconsolidated snow that made this off trail route difficult. The late hour turned us around. This path should still be in good shape and may be useful to you in your endeavour.

recent snow/high winds!!

But what about the 5-8" of snow that came Monday during the day?
I'm thinking that w/ the high winds this path could be long gone?

Yes, iceNsnow. Certainly where the route becomes a slide it would be wind blown but maybe OK down below?? We did leave a two foot trench. Were you up north on Monday?

Hi Tim!

No, but I heard that the track I broke on Saturday with 4 other peeps was filling in on Monday. And then again segments of a broken track are better than no track, if you know when it goes.

12 more days of winter peakbagging!! :)