Haystack-Basin-Saddleback Eric's #46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
The big hike was planned for Saturday 9/2, but Mr. Ernesto's forecasted plans to ruin the day forced us to play hooky on Friday and go for it while the weather was good. My son Eric and I left from the Garden via the Phelps trail toward Haystack at 7:15. Compared to our normal start times, we felt like we had a late start. But we were full of energy in anticipation of Eric's completion of the 46ers. An uneventful hike until we reached Slant Rock, where we met a group of hikers that included Joanne from Syracuse who was also going to Haystack to finish her 46th peak.

There really weren't any decent views on this hike until just before the trail intersection to Haystack. However, once over the first bump before Little Haystack, the scenery is amazing, probably as good as it gets in the Adirondacks. Over LH and onto Haystack with spectacular views into Panther Gorge, over to Marcy and Skylight, the other way towards Basin, Gothics and Pyramid. Wow! Joanne and her group reached the summit for the celebration complete with photos - I e-mailed my photo to you. Congrats!

We needed to keep moving so down to Sno-Bird and a water refill and then we went after Basin. Eric was in cruise mode now and it took some doing just for me to keep up. This is quite a rugged up-and-down from Haystack. Basin just put another perspective on the fine views of the Upper Range - Marcy, Colden and the McIntyres, the Dix Range - what a day! I noticed Eric had disappeared to the north side of Basin to catch a sneak preview of Saddleback and his big prize. :) While resting on Basin, we met a married couple of 40-somethings in pursuit of a Great Range traverse. They had started at Roostercomb TH at 4:15am and at 2:30 they were well on their way but still had a long way to go. I hope you two made it!

Now I virtually had to run to keep up with Eric. I didn't catch him until the col and then he took off again up Saddleback to the cliffs. He waited patiently at the base of the cliffs where I had to boost him up onto the first ledge and then from there he did his best Spiderman to the top. This was actually a fun climb up - I imagine down must be much tougher. At 3:40pm, Eric was on top and completed his conquering of the 46. Just him and I at the summit. No big celebration on top, but he was beaming inside. He had done it! Father proud of his son. Son proud of his accomplishment and appreciative of his Dad's help. And the best big mountaintop hug a Dad could ever ask for. Eric, I'm so glad we've had the opportunity to hike together and complete the 46. There will be plenty of hiking ahead - the W46, the White's, Mt. Hood - who knows. We had hopes that you would finish before you were 18, but you did it at 13 years old.

It took us four hours to hike out including a stop at JBL to tell Joanne et.al. that Eric did indeed complete his 46th on Saddleback. We celebrated with Uncle Bill, Peggy and Rich at the Adirondack Steak and Seafood in L.P. that evening. Wishing you all could have been there with us.

The best thing about completing the 46ers is that its only the beginning. Eric, don't forget that you promised to take me along with your kids when they finish the 46. I look forward to it.

I can relate....................... My son finished at 13 too. I can remember the pride I felt as he walked on his 46th summit (Whiteface) a few years back. It almost made me forget I was walking up mine too ;) . FF a few years and we're still out there, hiking and bushwhacking together as much if not more than we did before. The bond that started with the 46 continues beyond so you have that to look forward to for awhile to come.

Seriously, well done to Eric and well done to you too. You've done a fine thing for your boy and he'll cherish it always. Keep it up, more memories await the 2 of you.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
To 46-R ÉRIC

Dr. Robert Balk said "when men and mountains come together great things take place".

Congratulations to the new 46-SIXER!

Well done, Bolo!

Give me an "A" *
cheer.gif

Seriously, Congratulations to Eric.

Willie a/k/a Uncle Bill a/k/a Uncle Philbo

* Note: Inside joke.

Eric - At-A-Boy!! Congrats!! Saddleback is an awesome place to finish with the added pleasure of playing hookie!!

eddie said:
And the best big mountaintop hug a Dad could ever ask for

I think that says it all from the other pespective!!