Haystack,Basin & Saddleback = W46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipsbliss

Reaction score
Many thanks and my sincere appreciation to all my fellow hikers who have helped and encouraged me. Saturday (3/5) was a great day to finish the Winter 46 with help from many old and new friends.

Six of us (Dawn Hamilton, Barb Blum, Pete Hogan, Fred Bloom, Tom Rankin and myself) reserved Grace Camp last December for this weekend, with the original plan to bag some winter high peaks on our list. As it turned out, my goal to finish this year was in reach in a big way, namely Haystack, Basin & Saddleback. With the recent snowstorm it was garanteed to be no walk in the "Park" and an early start of 6:45AM meant a lot of trailbreaking for the first hikers on the trail. A special thanks to my friend and fellow 115er, Tom Rankin for joining me on the entire hike and doing a good part of the trailbreakiing. Thanks Tom.

The day started out with blue sky's and calm until we reached Little Haystack where the wind reminded us of where we were. The summits of both Haystacks were artic conditions with a sustained wind of at least 50mph+ and who knows what temperture with the windchill factor. We summited Haystack, #44, at 10:30AM in high winds and then headed for Basin. We met Mark and Kelly from the Utica area and VFTT between the "Stacks" who appreciated our trail work and whom we would team up with later in the day. We continued down to the Shorey Short Cut breaking 2 to 4 ft. drifts. A big Thank You to Don Berens and 2 companions from Alb. Chp. ADK for breaking the trail via Shorey Shortcut to the top of Basin and a nice welcome and early congrats at the summit for #45. The view of Haystack and Marcy were spectacular in the clear blue sky and we could see hikers on Haystack that turned out to be Dawn, Fred, Pete and Barb summiting in the high winds. Also the Alb. Chap. group of 6 led by Skip Young summited Haystack. Congratulations to Laurie S. for finishing her W46 as well.

One to go! Our hopes for a nice broken trail to Saddleback faded as we plunged into about 2 foot of fresh snow at the summit of Basin and met a treacherous descent down icy rocks and snowdrifts. We continued over the bump and the Saddleback "wallface" came into view in the bright afternoon sunlight. The last hurtle stood before us, thoughts of finishing and getting down to a warm Grace Camp for dinner and wine seemed like a great idea. We soon found ourselves searching for trail markers, bushwhacking and trailbreaking our way toward Saddleback. Then a voice from behind us said, "Can we break trail for you guys for a while, you've been breaking for us all day." Mark and Kelly caught up to us at just the right time. The four of us continued together making our way to the cliffs and up the best route we could find. Our final ascent was up a crack (not recommended) that we had to help each other climb up the final cliff before reaching the summit for the final, #46 at 2:27PM. Thank You Tom, Mark and Kelly!!!

Our descent from Saddleback to the Camp was on a well broken trail thanks to two other new friends from Canada, Jean and Nat. Wish we could have seen you to thank you personally but know that your work is appreciated as well, Thanks.

Other's who I would like to thank and who have helped me along the way include, Tom McGuire, Skip Young, John Swanson, Nan Giblin, Don Berens, Steve Siegard, Claudia Warren and Dorine Peregrin.

Special Thanks to my hiking companions for a great weekend and many years of fun, Barb Blum, Dawn Hamilton, Tom Rankin, Fred Bloom and Pete Hogan. May we have many years of great hikes and continued enjoyment ahead of us.
Finally, a hiking companion who has put up with me at home and accompanied me through the Catskill 35 summer and winter, NE115, and Winter46, my wife Bonnie Prushnok. I appreciate all your hardwork, support and encouragement. Love you.
And A Great Big Thanks To All!!!
Happy Trails
Phil Seward

Last edited:
Flipsbliss said:
Many thanks and my sincere appreciation to all my fellow hikers who have helped and encouraged me. Saturday (3/5) was a great day to finish the Winter 46 with help from many old and new friends.

Six of us (Dawn Hamilton, Barb Blum, Pete Hogan, Fred Bloom, Tom Rankin and myself) reserved Grace Camp last December for this weekend, with the original plan to bag some winter high peaks on our list. As it turned out, my goal to finish this year was in reach in a big way, namely Haystack, Basin & Saddleback. With the recent snowstorm it was garanteed to be no walk in the "Park" and an early start of 6:45AM meant a lot of trailbreaking for the first hikers on the trail. A special thanks to my friend and fellow 115er, Tom Rankin for joining me on the entire hike and doing a good part of the trailbreakiing. Thanks Tom.
Phil Seward

You're welcome! Congrats my friend! It was a great day!

Flipsbliss said:
Congratulations to Laurie S. for finishing her W46 as well.
Phil Seward

Wow, I'm a little slow, but I just realized that I broke trail for 2 Winter 46'er finishers in 1 day! What an honor!

Congrats Phil,
And thanks again to you and Tom for grooming the trail. We brought the MSR tails for some serious trial breaking and didn't need them. It was great to see so many old hiking companions on the trail and at Grace Camp.
Laurie was thrilled to finish on such a beautiful summit and with awesome views. I'm very happy for her too! :D
Tim

Kudos, Phil!

Congratulations Phil! We are all so proud of you! It was a finish worthy of the finisher!

Your sincere trip report graciously and humbly acknowledges the endearing relationships that are so meaningful to such an extraordinary life experience. The voice of your hiking experience speaks to the intrinsic rewards that will be with you long after you hang up your boots! Well done!

Thanks also to the Grace Camp crew for a terrific weekend! It was a pleasure sharing the camaraderie and significance of this memorable achievement!

Great job Phil! 115 on Carrigain and now the winter 46. Seems like HarryK is slacking on the beer deliveries though. Tell Bonnie I had an Amato's veggie italian sandwich to celebrate.

Congrats Phil and thanks to the trail breakers. We did Haystack/Basin yesterday and except for some drifting, especially between Haystack and Basin, we were able to benefit from your trailbreaking efforts!

Congratulations Phil!

Nathalie and I dropped by Grace Camp around 3pm Saturday but you guys weren't back yet.
You sure had a wonderful day to finish your W46. VFTTs were outstanding! :)

Congrats!

Congrats again Phil! What a great day to finish the W46. Another big thanks to you and Tom for breaking trail! Like Tim mentioned we were planning on breaking trail thru some deep snow. Your efforts were much appreciated for my last peak!

BTW - Thanks to all my hiking buddies, especially Tim. It wouldn't have been the same adventure without you. And what an adventure it's been!

See ya on the trails!

Laurie S. :D