haystack mountain 5/17/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 5/17/13

trails: haystack trail, deerfield ridge trail, haystack mountain trail

conditions: from route 9 in wilmington i drove in haystack road then through a maze of roads a bit over 2.5 miles to the trailhead on upper dam road (good description in the vermont day hikers guide). roadside parking for a number of cars there. the trail begins as a rough jeep road and is marked as "haystack trail" though my map refers to it as binney brook trail. a bit over a half mile the trail leaves the road to the left at a new sign for deerfield ridge trail. the "trail closed" signs are for snowmobiles in the winter. the trail is nice and dry as it climbs the ridge towards haystack becoming muddier and more like a multi use/ski trail as it levels before reaching the spur trail to the summit. this trail was in good shape and mostly dry to the summit ledges.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: given the long drive to this part of vermont i thought a second shorter hike was in order after grass/spruce earlier in the day. it was a real nice walk and the summit provided some good views up to mt. snow as well as more distant looks to ascutney and monadnock. could see some of the readsoboro area peaks, a couple windfarms and mt. greylock to the south as well. a beautiful day to be outside.

bryan

[email protected]