Haystack Road to North Twin Trailhead - how far?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Goodearl

Reaction score
According to the WMNF's road status web page this road is still closed. Can someone tell me how long the approach is from the gate to the trailhead? Thanks!

If this info is posted elsewhere here I haven't been able to find it.

You can park at the end of Little River Road and follow the snowmobile trail/crosscountry ski trail across the bridge to Haystack Road. This is the Winter route, it cuts about 1-1.5 miles off the walk to the trailhead.

Parking at the end of Little River Road is private property, so you'd want permission before doing that. Plus, that snowmobile route has some wicked wet and muddy areas.

Haystack Road always opens later than the others - something about it doesn't drain the water as well as the other area roads and so it tends to stay soft for longer. Sending cars down a soft road would pretty much destroy it, so they just wait longer to open it.

MichaelJ said:
Parking at the end of Little River Road is private property...
Haystack Road always opens later than the others...

I'll just wait until they open the road. In your experience, roughly when does it open? Considering it's now June, I can't imagine it will be too much further out. Thank you for the information!

Um ... I think it was mid-June last year. I just remember that it didn't make Memorial Day last year, either. And I know it opened later than June 7th in '03 from one of my own trip reports.

Raymond - the end of Little River Road is all private property, which is why I'd suspect the fence is there.

Mark_Goodearl said:
If this info is posted elsewhere here I haven't been able to find it.

The information is online here (thanks largely to previous Q&A threads here on VFTT)

PS as Mark G said, Haystack Road is open but "soft shoulders... proceed with caution"
WMNF road status page