Healthiest States in America Named

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
"The annual America's Health Rankings list is out, pitting U.S. states against each other in a no-holds-barred contest of health. So, how did your state fare?

For the fourth year in a row, Vermont takes the top spot as healthiest state.
" More here -

These polls are constantly influenced by socio economic class and written by folks who are good at sitting in the library.The south on a whole is very poor,so of course it always ranks last on any list.California seems to have a population who are much better in shape than new england?Also look at smoking rates here in the northeast!In Cali it is not considered ok to smoke like it is here.Vermont is a small state making it easy to get the "number one spot".The poll uses factors like high school graduation and not alcohol consumption to measure ones "health"?People around these parts get chunky compared to Miami beach or Beverly hills[including me!],lets accept it.What about mental health?Northeast is not known for being that friendly of a place and having high rates of depression due to lack of nice weather.Vermont seemed to have plenty of unhealthy rednecks last time I was there.:(

It's per capita, is it not? Remember that California is a BIG, diverse state. In spite of what we "learn" on TV, there's a lot more to it than Hollywood and the Bay Area. Ever been to Bakersfield? Susanville? Barstow? I've spent time in each of the 50 states and can attest to the fact that there are rednecks in each of them. (Well, I cannot actually say I saw one in Hawaii...)

Vermont also ranks #1 in the Most Educated category, hence one of its nicknames, "Smartmont." :D

Fun site: http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bes_edu_ind-education-best-educated-index

You can find out which state is the most underemployed, most trigger happy, richest, poorest, etc.
And don't worry, New Hampshire: supposedly it's the overall Best Place to Live! (Minnesoter is #2, followed by Vermont #3).

I also understand NH also has the lowest crime rate and drinks more beer per capita than all other states. Probably not related. NH and MA consistently rank 1 and 2 for public education, not necessarily in that order.

It's per capita, is it not? Remember that California is a BIG, diverse state. In spite of what we "learn" on TV, there's a lot more to it than Hollywood and the Bay Area. Ever been to Bakersfield? Susanville? Barstow?

Fun site: http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bes_edu_ind-education-best-educated-index

You can find out which state is the most underemployed, most trigger happy, richest, poorest, etc.
And don't worry, New Hampshire: supposedly it's the overall Best Place to Live! (Minnesoter is #2, followed by Vermont #3).
Bakersfield,check.Barstow,check.Fresno,check. Susanville?Next time I am out there,will try to check it out.Did not know we were including the central valley as part of Cali:D.Drive north up the grade from slo town and it a different world,you are very right stinkyfeet...peace...by the way does Dog the bounty hunter count as a redneck?

I think it depends on who is conducting the poll. I am used to Colorado and Minnesota as being tops in these polls. I live in Vermont and have been lucky enough to travel a few times per year, by my eye ball test Vermont would be a good healthy, state but not near #1. IMHO it's politics helps it allot for accessible health care. I know political talk is a no no on this forum but I do not think you can talk about a state's population's health without that discussion. Also I agree to lump an entire state together is not terribly informative. Example inner city Detroit projects vs. Rochester Hills/Lake Orion in Michigan. Examples in California already mentioned.

I've spent time in each of the 50 states and can attest to the fact that there are rednecks in each of them. (Well, I cannot actually say I saw one in Hawaii...)

Hawaii has them, called "Moke". The Big Island has lots of them. They are just in disguise with Hawaiian garb but still with the F-150. Maybe call 'em Brownnecks?