Help needed: Trail runners/hiking shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check New Balance 811 in campmor for 49

I might pick up a pair of these, thanks. I do notice that the new 812 seems to be more like my favorite, the 807. There's much more black rubber... that black rubber seems to be more sticky than the harder colored stuff. I find more stickyness is good for scrambling down rocks without ending up on my tush. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much of this "sticky" property is just my imagination running away with my personal data points. :)

I've had really good luck with Montrail stuff. I think their toe box is a little wider than average. They fit me really well

It's all about what fits you best, though.

Jason

agreed..I use the Montrail stuuf also..the wide toe box and narrow heel give out of the box instant comfort..unsurpassed grippiness on NH ledges and rock..
As a note their shoelaces are underpar and I change them out quickly..love the shoes though..I get a season of comfort and good times out of the..750 miles or so...

Well I made up my mind and got a pair of LS Fireblades for $75 from backcountry. They'll be here tomorrow (ordered last week) and I'll take them out for a real test ride by the end of the week.

Well, I took the Fireblades out today for a 5-6 miler on some trails in western Brunswick (the Par Course and some guy's farm were Brunswick HS has their cross country meets). They are grippy! Some of the wooden bridges were still wet and the 2x4s were slick, but the Fireblades stuck to 'em with ease. Did just fine in mud, sand, puddles, and some pavement. The sole is a bit stiff for running, but will be great for hiking with an overnight pack or some class 4-5 climbing. So long story short, I'm pleased with the purchase.

I regret to say that I'm not as happy with the NB MT811. It seems that New Balance decided to create a fancy-looking eyelet attached by strings to the shoe. This string broke while I was lacing up after about a week of use. :(

I've noticed that the MT812 has gone back to more traditional eyelets.

I regret to say that I'm not as happy with the NB MT811. It seems that New Balance decided to create a fancy-looking eyelet attached by strings to the shoe. This string broke while I was lacing up after about a week of use. :(

I've noticed that the MT812 has gone back to more traditional eyelets.

I hope I don't have the same experience as you with the MT811 lace string breaking. I just purchased a pair and wore them for the first time this last weekend while backpacking the Bold Coast Trail. I really like this trail runner. So far, so good!

Last edited:
A bit of a different perspective...

Last night I went to a reading of recently published Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall, at Tattered Cover Books in Denver. Definitely some different views of footwear!

Can't wait to read what looks to be a fascinating study of long-distance running, the Tarahumara, the author's conclusions re our running roots -- Yeah, I bought the book :eek: ... if only because friend Luis did the cover shot. :)

More info:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780307266309.html

http://health.usnews.com/blogs/on-f...umans-evolved-to-run-like-the-tarahumara.html

I hope I don't have the same experience as you with the MT811 lace string breaking. I just purchase a pair and wore them for the first time this last weekend while backpacking the Bold Coast Trail. I really like this trail runner. So far, so good!

I talked to New Balance about it. They said it was probably just a defective shoe just to return it to the store, or they would take it back as an exchange in the mail. Our local shoe store (Alec's in Nashua) went out of their way replace it.

No problems with the replacement.