Help needed: Trail runners/hiking shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsxc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've finally broken down and admitted that I should get some footwear that is in between my Mizuno Wave Riders and my heavy backpacking boots. :(

Trail running shoes seem like the way to go, given my text book-limited gear funds and natural propensity to be a cheapskate. The Montrail Highlander, Salomon Walker, and Vasque Blurr are some top contenders and are all right around $50. The Vasque Aether Tech, Lafuma Sky Race OT, and La Sportiva Fireblade are also on the menu, though they are more expensive by $20-30.

So, what do you think? What would work best? The primary use is going to be hiking or light backpacking. I might use them for some trail running, but most likely not. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I know nothing about the others, so my vote is for the Fireblade. I don't own it personally, but I do own La Sportiva's Slingshot. They have been an excellent shoe, and have lasted me for at least 3 years now. The sole is very flexible, and yet still provides excellent traction. The heal and toe support are very firm, and I have never stubbed my toe and had an injury because of it (there is a strong, stiff rubber/plastic protection on both the toe and the heal).

They are not waterproof, however, which I see as a downside. Yet I sprayed them with waterproofing and that worked pretty well. The color is HOT too ;)

I also like them because they're very lightweight. I wouldn't suggest them in rougher terrain, but they're excellent for moving fast over easy to moderate trails!

I assume the Fireblades are very much the same. Hope that helps!

My experience with Vasque is that they are a little clunky and heavy for trailrunning but perfect for hiking. Very durable, comfortable due to the cushioning that makes them clunky. They are very light compared to hiking boots so when I call them 'heavy' it is in relation to running shoes.

The Fireblades seem a little less durable and comfortable for hiking to me. I have a few pairs of LaSportivas for running and have found they are pretty light and have great traction soles (their Frixion product) but also wear out more quickly.

I have always like Salomon shoes for running and hiking too.

Do you have issues with getting shoes that fit properly or blister issues? I order all my shoes at online outlets or online sales offers, etc. I never have problems with sizing or fit but that could be just me. Definitely makes it easier on the pocket to get shoes 30-50% off. It does not matter to me if they are last year's model - going to be covered in mud in no time :D

I own Mizuno Wave Riders, they're what I wear when I'm forced to run on pavement. But if I don't need that much heel padding, I go with a lighter shoe. For hiking (now that crampon season is winding down) I wear the Salomon Amphibian (or some similar previous model), which has been pretty good but I'm a little disappointed in how slippery they can be on wet rock. Not familiar with the others you mentioned.

Thanks ADK, I had glanced at the Slingshot but kinda ignored it due to its being too big. When I read reviews of it though, many suggested sizing up, so that Slingshot from GearTrade is back in the running.

Lisa, I think my feet are pretty standard. I wear a 9.5 or 10 in Nikes, a 10 in Asics. A 9.5 or 10 in just about any brand fits me.

Ferrisjrf, have you tried the Highlanders?

Thanks Jason. I snooped around and found the http://store.everestgear.com/gm1009.html. The Salomons were only in size 13. :( Salomon makes excellent adventure racing/trail running gear, but it's all so darn expensive.
evileyes.png

I've loved my Montrail Hurricane Ridge's for years; been through 4 or 5 pairs. Hiked the NP in those, they were perfect. But now the idiots at Montrail have trashed the quality and screwed up the design, so those shoes are no longer an option. (Shoes are now made in China and fall apart; also the Hurricane Ridge model now has a nasty, cheap, tight toe box.)

If you are using the shoes mostly for hiking, look for the heavier models with a more solid sole. Watch out for Vasque, though; they screwed up their design by putting a big flat plate on the outsole under the arch of the shoe, so they make you VERY prone to the "ankle roll" type injury (at any speed). My running partner retired her Vasques to gardening and switched back to Montrail because of this. Make sure your shoe has good relief under the arch on the outsole, more like your natural foot.

My Salomon XA 3D somethings were nice, but light, more like a racing shoe.

Every foot and last is different; you have to try on lots of shoes.

You might ask over here:

http://adktrailrun.forums-free.com/

Tom

I have been wearing Salomons for a few years now for mostly everything other than winter and love them - XA Pro 3D XCRs (favorite), XA Pro 3D Ultra, and now the XT Wings GTX. They are pricey, but lasted a long time.

A friend of mine did the whole PCT in Asics Gel-Kahanas (you could call ems with the sku and ask if any stores have them). Highly recommended.
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...4442596569&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302903648

I have the CTCs and although I wanted to really like them and use them for an approach and climbing shoe they just don't fit my body right. They fit my feet, but my feet and joints hurt. They are a stiff shoe and the rubber used is the same Montrail uses on their rock shoes. Also like Ferris, I wouldn't run in them - sole is too stiff. Also, I have found that Montrail has more arch support out of the box compared to other brands...not a problem, just fyi.

I also haven't worn them in a while, but I used to wear New Balances that I'd get real cheap at the Bob's discount racks...got some excellent xtrainers back in the day for <$30 each.

Last edited:
I second cbcd. I have 3 pairs of the Salomon trail runners. I wear them every day, and on muddy hikes through puddles can't beat the gore tex. Traction is fabulous. They hold up well. Worth the $ IMO.

I like Vasque's "Mercury" trail shoe for short fast mountain runs - they are really stiff, almost feeling like a soccer cleat, and have really great control. Not comfortable for all day wear though.

For woods running and longer days, Vasque's "Velocity" model has been my favorite for years, a very roomy and well padded shoe that is comfortable all day long. ( As TCD mentions, if you are prone to ankle roll, Montrails are much more supportive in that respect) Wet traction on rock is a weak spot. The latest version is the Velocity VST.

I stick with Vasques just because they work for my feet - there are other shoes I would like to be able to run in, but they just don't fit the same.
Lots of great trail shoes out there - I would worry less about the bells, whistles and hype, and more about what feels good to YOUR feet.

Inov-8 shoes out of England with distributors around New England. Traildog has gotten me addicted to a few different styles. I havent worn anything else on the trails since!

I have always like Salomon shoes for running and hiking too.

+1 on the Salomons.

I've got a pair of their trail runners as well as a pair of low hikers and I dig 'em both. Light, but rugged, and the Contragrip tread works great on slick rocks/roots often encountered on da trail.

If you don't have a particular brand/model in mind, you may wanna just keep an eye out on SAC, as they tend to have trail runners/light hiking boots cycle through there at least once a day.

I swear by my Salomons. I was a big Merrill wearer for years but found that they had a habit of the sole splitting just under the balls of the feet. Now I go all Salomon all the time.

This is the pair I've had for quite sometime:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7176762/color/41415

I've used them for trail runnin but they have also served as my "movin fast blowdown clearin only" trail shoe. They have more than met the test. They are now movin slowly into retirement from everyday trail runnin.

I've moved onto this pair:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7376373/color/153314

and I'm very happy with them too! They were also a bit cheaper but I've been very satisfied with the quality.

I will be honest that my only gripe with Salomon is that I DO NOT like the Quickfit lacing. They busted on that first pair I mentioned, the XA Pro 3D XCR, but I was able to thread a normal set of laces through the eyelets, though with some difficulty, and got more service out of them. The nylon laces are still on that pair today.

I have the Oboz approach shoes and I love them. Bought them at EMS last club day.Tough and excellent footing. I'm hoping to use them on the HRT this summer.
I do like the quick lace on my Salomons, but I am a bit challenged tying my laces..:confused:

Has anyone tried either the Oboz or the Keen shoes?
I have a pair of Keen shellrock. They're eVent tops, so waterproof/breathable, lightweight, pretty comfy (although not particularly supportive or cushioning, even with a Sole footbed.) The top pulled off the sole on Mt. Abraham (ME) after I had maybe 15 miles on the shoes. I duct taped it and finished the trip, then shoe goo'd the whole area for good measure. Now I find (maybe 50 miles into the life of the shoe) that the tread is delaminating from the soles.

Targhee: My hiking buddy tried these. One half of a brand-new pair blew out on Madison on a Presi traverse...a little duct tape and a lot of wrapping the lace around the boot kept it going. Its partner blew out on Ike. That pair went back to REI for an exchange. Its replacement died after ten miles.

So I'm not going to touch Keen again.

I have a pair of Keen shellrock. They're eVent tops, so waterproof/breathable, lightweight, pretty comfy (although not particularly supportive or cushioning, even with a Sole footbed.) The top pulled off the sole on Mt. Abraham (ME) after I had maybe 15 miles on the shoes. I duct taped it and finished the trip, then shoe goo'd the whole area for good measure. Now I find (maybe 50 miles into the life of the shoe) that the tread is delaminating from the soles.

Targhee: My hiking buddy tried these. One half of a brand-new pair blew out on Madison on a Presi traverse...a little duct tape and a lot of wrapping the lace around the boot kept it going. Its partner blew out on Ike. That pair went back to REI for an exchange. Its replacement died after ten miles.

So I'm not going to touch Keen again.

Thanks for the warning - they don't sound like usable shoes at all.