Henderson Mtn. 12-22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
If you're like me you may have looked upon Henderson as a rather drab and uninteresting mountain. I’ve always looked at it as if I would climb it from Bradley Pond LT, or have viewed it from lofty summits like Santanoni. From those points of view I didn’t see much to get worked up over. However, I didn’t want an uninteresting hike so I looked at it as a climb to do from the East. Prior to freeze-up I drew up a route from Upper Works that looped north then south along the Indian Pass trail. After freeze-up Randonscooter suggested cutting across Lake Henderson and that sealed it as a must-do hike as far as I was concerned.

So, this morning at 8 am Prino, Nessmuk and I stepped onto the frozen surface of Lake Henderson. My spirits soared as we made our way west along the bay that spills into the Hudson. The land all around us was quiet, peaceful and beautiful. Those of you who eschew the non 46er peaks should have been there with us as we rounded the corner exiting the bay. From our vantage point Mounts Henderson, McNaughton, Wallface and Adams were huge behemoths that towered over us puny humans as we inched our way across the lake. Henderson in particular was deserving of reverence with its many ridges, bumps and knobs. The summit was so very far away! It looked completely and absurdly out of reach but we humans with our purposeful and persistent goal oriented behaviour and our maps, technologically advanced equipment and experience were headed straight for it.

Standing on the lake we studied my proposed route and discussed various alternatives. Nessmuk gave me a lesson in map and compass and then into the forest we headed aiming for my route.

A quick aside is in order here. Many of you may know that Nessmuk is not a GPS aficionado and is an ace map and compass man. Today I had a front row seat and the rare opportunity to observe and learn from a true master. (I’m sure he’ll shrug his shoulders and say it was nothing.) but he knew exactly where we were at all times (as verified with the gps) and moved just as quickly as if with a gps. Just when I thought I knew it all! Paul you are very good!

On the lower reaches of the mtn. we moved as easily as 2 feet of structureless snow allows through open hardwoods and gentle slopes. Then we hit a wall, a low band of insurmountable vertical rock that ran perpendicular to our desired line of travel. We had no choice but to follow it. This is also where we started to encounter blowdown. We put the wall behind us but then both the blowdown and the pitch increased simultaneously. The blowdown was most impressive. A more effective impediment to our progress could not have been contrived to accompany the steep pitch and the deep unconsolidated snow. A single wind event it seemed had felled massive yellow birches at a 60 degree angle to our line of progress. Of course there were plenty of new growth conifers rushing to fill the gaps in the open canopy. They dished out generous helpings of snow.

We huffed and puffed our way up the mtn. but our progress, no matter how we measured it, was very, very slow. Finally, I had to say it. Turnaround time would be 1:00. Nodding heads agreed readily. As we climbed we learned something quite interesting. The clear, open sky that attracted us was clear and open as a result of blowdown! We headed into the thick conifers for best progress.

Then we decided that since our ridge had likely been exposed to violent winds creating all the blowdown that maybe we should check out the gully/bowl to the south which would have been protected. Sure enough, it looked a lot better. It was only noon but it was obvious we would never even get close to the summit and the open channels leading down to the bowl were so inviting….Oh, sweet surrender! We descended the powder slopes knowing we had earned each and every vertical foot the hard way.

As we worked our way back down to the lake we discussed what we had learned on this particular trip. We also noted that a person could spend a couple of weeks poking around on this one “little” mountain. Back on the lake, our views of Henderson Mountain took on a meaning which was totally different (less naïve) from 6 hours previously.

So, now there is a beautiful snowshoe track leading halfway (horizontally) up Henderson that will torture my mind until either it snows a ton or until I go back.

Neil said:
Many of you may know that Nessmuk is not a GPS aficionado..... but he knew exactly where we were at all times (as verified with the gps) and moved just as quickly as if with a gps.
Of course I cannot let this paragraph escape without showing some humbleness. Neil and Prino are such good students and teachers in their own right. It was amazing to stand there in the middle of the frozen lake, taking in all the spectacular scenery around us. Then we focussed on our intended route, now able to relate the map to what we saw "in the raw". The ravine and approach to the intended ridge, which way made sense, could we correlate the flats and steeps to the map picture, did it now make sense to go left or right around the toughest looking humps. If only we could have seen the blowdown from that vantage point...

This was my first trip with Neil, and was the first time I have traveled the backcountry with someone who I knew was of considerable GPS persuasion, yet literally kept his eyes open to nature's wider picture and alternative suggestions. Neil's judicious and supporting informational use of the instrument was unlike most other's I had seen. Or maybe it was because he generously "allowed" me to lead much of the course, checking terrain and compass headings to the pretrip GPS waypoints he had preset. It wasn't necessary to hit or even come close to the presets, nature had other ideas, but as good navigators it was mandatory for all of us to know where we were in relation to them.

Let it be said that Neil gives me too much credit. In particular on the return path, I was not as precisely knowledgeable of pinpoint location as Neil might have you think. There are intermediate times during this type of navigation when general awareness of "somewhere in this ravine" is sufficient and it is enough for "the rule of down" to prevail. Precision will resume later, awareness is continuous.

We did not reach the summit or approach anywhere near it, to be sure. What all of us learn of the mountain and ourselves, be it large event or small detail on each and every backcountry trek we make is exciting enough to always bring us back to enjoy yet another. The choice of attacking the ascent by following the ridge may not have been the correct pretrip decision, but no one could know that before being there. However, once there and realizing an apparent singular blowdown event and terrain had conspired against us, it was within our power to take stock of the situation and alter our course on the fly. Not enough hours in the day and fluffy snow still too steep to make the kind of mileage we needed still kept us vertically challenged. There is deep satisfaction in that we learned, not only about this time, but also about the next time we put ourselves in similar situations. We turned around smiling and enjoyed the butt slides through the fluff on the descent, no longer in blowdown. No trip you can smile upon has ever failed in reaching it's goal.

Last edited:
Henderson Mtn by the West approach.

Congratulation to Neil and his partners... ;)

You took the decision to do not use the easy way (Bradley Pond lean-too, You never catched the summit but We think You learn many thing...

In this race to badged the 100 hight Adk peaks, outside of the usual 46 and a couple of easy trail summits, specialy in the Winter season every attemp is a lesson of humility and courage...Bravo!!! We up our hats!!!

Neil I am sure You will be able to put in this place with Topo map what exactely was it was your plan and what did You hiked. I hope I will have the opportunity to speak with You of this great day.

Have a great Christmas day one of your supporter.. :)

Pinpin junior.

Nice report Neil

This was my first Adirondack winter peak and I couldn't have been in better company. I knew from the start that Neil and Paul were both excellent navigators and because of this didn't even feel the need to reach into my pack for the map and compass.
The snow was perfect for snowshoeing and a great start to winter. OH boy! it's only just begun.

Thanks again guys!

PICTURES

Last edited:
Neil I got tired just reading your tr. the pics were great but you needed to get more shots of the blowdown. Pin Pin said in his comments that the Bradley Pond side is easier. I take it he means easier in relationship to your route, not easier in regard to a walk in the park. I didn't think there was anything easy about that hill. Nice tr all three of you guys and yeah Nes your pics were good too. congrats for your effort.

AntlerPeak said:
Neil I got tired just reading your tr. the pics were great but you needed to get more shots of the blowdown.
Well like, I was kinda busy. :) Not only that but I none of us took any pics of the beautiful views of the lake from the blowdown section. I don't think anyone'd make that trip just for those views :rolleyes: but they were real sweet.

AntlerPeak said:
Neil I got tired just reading your tr. the pics were great but you needed to get more shots of the blowdown.
I've added my photos online. Note the one of Neil the snowman after emerging from a blowdown section. How one gets to look like that is the biggest reason for not having photos from within the blowdown. Actually, it is so dense that a photograph would only show a tangle of branches and snow only inches from the lens. Taking a camera out in those conditions is not a camera friendly thing to do either. Look at a couple of my other shots and imagine 16 inch diameter logs piled on top of one another, roots and tops still intact... now add the sapling spruces all competing for new light growing between the tangled mess as you are climbing up 70 degree slopes. But hey... it's all fun anyway.

Last edited:
What a wonderful day! I haven't always taken the easiest route to a peak, but your enthusiasm makes me want to go back and scout out more interesting approaches to some of them.

Nice shots Ness. Yeah I know blowdown photos generally don't work. I was just busting on Neil as I imagined he guessed. I am figuring on getting out tomorrow for a short snowshoe run if not cancelled. The last three weeks everything planned has fell through. but then again that stuff happens and we just plug on.

Hey Neil and co. sounds like a great day and lots of fun.all goals met except the top but thats always just an added bonus in these situations.As always wished I had been there.

I'm going back to "finish the job" (by a slightly different route) ASAP if anyone is interested. Look at Nessmuk's sig. for the caveat.