high gas prices and hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
With the rise of gas prices, I was wondering if people are re-thinking hiking trips and staying closer to home? I recently noticed that when I grab a trail guide it is usally one of the local guides and I am thinking mostly hiking the Monadnock area (home) this summer. If I do head to some higher peaks it will most likely be with a few others to share the cost of gas.

I for one will not cut back on my hiking due to the cost of gas. If the price of gas is up $0.50 per gallon and you use 10 gallons going and 10 gallons on the way home we are only talking about $10.00 extra. I know I do not use that much gas on a trip. If I buy one less piece of gear I do not truly need I will be ahead.

Mark

My honda gets just under 40 mpg, and I always have at least 2 other guys in the car, so gas prices don't deter me too much. Besides, I only get to do about 3-4 multi-day hikes per year anyway.

I don't let gas prices keep me from travelling. I just complain about it more... especially when there will be another natural gas shortage this winter... followed by another gasoline shortage next summmer, etc.

Gas prices don't affect me that much so I don't consider gas prices to affect me. Gas in NJ is generally cheaper than NY anyway so I always look at it that way.

Bike to work also helps, I know sometime mid may is usually national bike to work day/week.

Jay

Compared to the cost of gear to get on the trail,fuel cost is minor.It's gonna take more than an extra ten bucks for fuel to keep us from doing what we love to do.
Besides,you can always rationalize! If you stayed home ,ordered a pizza or went to a movie,you would still spend the money!
And speaking of the cost of gear(particularly winter),I did some quick math as my wife and I snowshoed down the trail with full overnight gear. I turned to her and said"do you know that between us we are wearing $1500 in gear!"
For us,backpacking,camping and kayaking is what it's about. It's a priority,so gas prices are an inconvenience,but we won't let it become an obstacle. Cancel your cable TV and go to the Whites or Dacks instead of Monadnock!:D

The rising gas prices haven't bothered me yet. I lived through the gas crisis of the late 1970s, driving 200 miles each way from South Jersey to the Gunks on weekends. Not only were gas prices high, but the lines and short supplies really would make you think twice about travelling. I'd fill up on Thursday afternoon and have enough gas to get to the Gunks on Friday, then first thing Saturday morning go find gas (often waiting in line). After filling up again, we'd go climbing and not have to worry about getting home.

On the other hand, I have spent more time lately hiking locally because driving long distances is such a waste of time.

No, gas prices won't keep me out of the Whites. But, it is another good reason to stay away from those gas-guzzling SUV's.

I also have a Honda that gives me about 38 miles to the gallon on the highway and the way I look at it, I will eat out less, dress in my clothes from last decade now that I fit into them again, I will buy less gear (okay that is a lie), I will drink less beer (only takes 2 to get me drunk and dancing anyway) but I can't compromise the one thing that brings me true joy . . .

400 miles and 10 gallons of gas . . . $19.40
Coffee to stay awake on the road . . . $1.99
Bagel for lunch . . . $2.49
hiking something breathtaking with people who put a smile on my face . . . PRICELESS

sli74

I'm not a big-time traveler anyways. I don't do too much warm weather hiking, I've had it with the Gunks zoo, and I'm close to sweet mountain bike areas. My Ranger isn't too bad, at 20 MPG, but those Subaru Outback type vehicles are intriguing me...

I won't let the price of gas stop me from hiking either. Just coming back from Hawaii, where gas was 2.49/gal it is still cheap here. Last time I was in England the cost of petrol equated to 7.25US dollars/gallon-now that's something to complain about. I still drove all over the country.

The price of gas hasn't effected me as yet. I still like to have that cup of joe in the morning and boiling water for emegency use is still pretty important. I suppose I can switch from my MSR to a butane or even wind drive stove but I just......

Wait I'm...thinking of white gas for my stove. ;)

Sorry.

I'm just glad that I traded in the Jeep (14mpg) for the Outback (24mpg). I can get about 333 miles out of a tank of gas, currently $30, and that's more than worth it for the joy I get out of hiking. In fact, it's still comparable to dinner out and a movie.

I won't be cutting back on my drives or my hiking, but I won't turn down gas money from my passengers if they offer.
:)

I've reached the point in my "climbing career" where I've completed all my Northeast peak lists and don't travel long distances as much anymore. I'm getting out to enjoy more of the nearby country attractions and doing trailwork on local reservations. One thing we all can do is to encourage carpooling whenever we can to save our gas resources (and $$).

I wonder: today, in Montreal, gas went up to an historical 95 cents / liter.

I'm going in the Dacks next weekend for the Dix trailwork. Could someone tell me how much it is for a gallon right now in Plattsburgh area? I think it is still cheaper for me to fill up in NY, even with our .73 USD canadian dollar:(

Thanks

I've somewhat limited my NYC to NH trips and have been heading to the Catskills a bit more than I had planned. Not just an expense issue, but driving to NH, hiking and driving back in just 2 1/2 is a bit trying.

I live in south Jersey and have few hiking options down here. Mainly, flat, sandy, uninteresting trails in the pine barrens. One trail looks like the next and the "woods" are loaded with ticks and chiggers. If I want to hike, north Jersey and southern NY (Catskills, Harriman, Gunks) are my best (closest) options. I was hiking in the Catskills this weekend. It was about 250 -275 miles from home to the trail - one way. It took about 1 1/2 tanks of gas RT. I have several trips planned to the 'Skills and Dacks this summer and I don't plan on cancelling. The gas is all part of my "recreational budget". I don't drink, I wear work provided scubs at work so my clothing budget is minimal, I have no pets or children to feed, so I feel I have enough money in my budget to pay for gas. Its about 1.80 gallon here in S. Jersey. It was a bit higher in NY this past weekend.