High water still an issue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I was going to post this on the Katrina thread but it seems to have been deleted :confused: .

Water in some areas of the Whites is likely to still be high, especially those draining large wide basins. Here's a link to the streamflow graph for the E. Branch of the Pemi. Normal water flow/height for this season is 5 - 5 1/2ft, 50 - 100cu ft / sec. Water flow peaked Thurs 9/1 morning at 12 feet, 7500 cu ft / sec. As of 9:15am this morning (Sun 9/4/05) it was down to 6 feet, 300 cu ft/sec.

Other rivers seem to be more "normal" now, but the E. Branch and its tributaries are likely to still be high. I would expect Wild River to be high also; USGS doesn't collect data for it though.

The two large crossings en route to Owls Head yesterday were probably in the "difficult" category down from "dangerous". (See EL's trip report & my followup)

Shallow low-lying areas near the edge of Lincoln Brook had been flooded by sand. The brook had scoured plants and tree roots several feet above yesterday's water level.

Choose your trips wisely, and consider calling the USFS ranger stations to inquire. Waterflow may not be back to normal levels for a few days at least. (One thing I learned in the past day or two is that elevated depths of water is only one issue of flooding -- the brooks and streams are not only deeper but wider and faster.)

Last edited:
Oh -- duh, I forgot to look at Maine. :D

One of these days (probably won't have time until I'm too old to hike :eek: ) I will have to take a seminar on hydrology. It would be interesting (and useful) to try to understand how all that stuff works.

Oh. I thought it was because of some quasi-political commentary or something.

Then I'll put it out there again: This may be an appropriate space to advocate for charitable giving, recognizing that individual citizens (and perhaps especially hikers) know very well how to respond to these types of disasters.

Thanks,

--Mike

ps: Happy Labor Day!

Peakbagr said:
The Katrina thread was deleted by the person who started it. :mad:

I deleted the original Katrina thread becuase the direction the thread was going seemed to pretty clearly(to me anyway) go against the first two of Darren's site rules.

Bob

I did Sabbaday Brook Trail on Saturday and had to ford the river at all four crossings. Two weeks ago, I rock hopped across. Water is certainly higher now.

bob