Hiker friendly tripod?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a compact "hiker friendly" tripod that won't break the bank? It would only need to support a Rebel XTi and at most a 300mm lens.
I'm very shaky when it comes to taking photos so I think a tripod could help make my photos a lot crisper, especially when I'm looking to obtain a deep depth of field and must leave the shutter open longer.

Thanks,
- Bill

BillK said:
I'm very shaky when it comes to taking photos so I think a tripod could help make my photos a lot crisper, especially when I'm looking to obtain a deep depth of field and must leave the shutter open longer.
Tripods are good when you have them, but it is worth learning to be as steady as possible when hand holding.

Rule of thumb: you can hand-hold a camera at 1/FL or faster where FL is the 35mm equivalent focal length.

* prop the camara against a fixed object (eg a rock or tree), if possible
* hold camera against your face (use the viewfinder!), left hand under the lens and body (palm upward, thumb pointing toward view). Right hand on the grip and button. This supports the weight on the left hand and gives you a fairly stable platform.
* hold your body steady
* hold your breath
* shoot between heartbeats if you can
* prop your body against something, better yet prop your elbows against something
* squeeze the button slowly
* continue to hold the camera steady after the shot
* increase the ISO (trade-off between speed and noise)
* use IS lenses (heavy and expensive :( )
* practice

I have hand held times up to 1/4 or 1/8 sec with a 28mm lens. (This was using my pre-IS film SLR.)

You can also prop the camera against a hiking pole as an improvised monopod. Even better, you can hold the handles of two poles together in one hand and prop the camera against them (a bipod...).

In my experience, the modern P&S cameras are too small to be able to hold very steady. (Taking a picture with the camera held a distance from one's body is particularly unsteady.) The hiking pole or fixed object props can be a big help here.

Doug
Who doesn't have a light-weight tripod and refuses to carry his heavy tripods when hiking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Doug. I think you forgot to mention (* reduce the amount of coffee you drink) :) I've been drinking way too much and I don't think that's been helping me to remain steady. I thought about using one my poles as a mono-pod, but I'm not sure how that'd work. (I'll test it out tomorrow) I think it's just going to take a lot of practice, as you pointed out. BTW, I'm really enjoying this XTi. It's quite a step-up from my P&S SD900. I'm finding it to be very user friendly.

- Bill

BillK said:
Thanks for the tips Doug. I think you forgot to mention (* reduce the amount of coffee you drink) :) I've been drinking way too much and I don't think that's been helping me to remain steady.
I don't drink coffee--just decaf tea...

I thought about using one my poles as a mono-pod, but I'm not sure how that'd work. (I'll test it out tomorrow)
Just stand the pole up vertically and hold the handle against the camera body. Haven't tried it with the XTi, but it sure helps with my A75 P&S.

I think it's just going to take a lot of practice, as you pointed out.
It isn't hard--just concentrate on it for a few practice shots and it becomes second nature. It is interesting to see the difference in the viewfinder when you turn the IS on and off.

BTW, I'm really enjoying this XTi. It's quite a step-up from my P&S SD900. I'm finding it to be very user friendly.
Agreed. The loss of control with my P&S was a disappointment after years with my film SLR. The XT/XTi brought the control and fun back with selectable auto/manual and instant gratification.

BTW, I would have chosen the SD800 for the 28mm (35mm equiv) wide angle lens. Now if Canon could just put that lens on one of their A??? P&Ses...

Doug

For a lite weight tripod, I use a Slik U6600. It is $29 from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/198829-REG/Slik_617060_U6600_Tripod.html

It is certainly not as nice as the carbon fiber big $ tripods, but it works and it is only 2.4 lbs. Not super light, but I haven't found anyting smaller than that to be very useful. Close to the car I use a Manfrotto 3221 with a Bogen ball head. I'm not going to carry that sucker into the backcountry!

One note - small cheap tripods have a tendancy to come with 2 way heads. Make sure you get one with a 3 way head so you can do verticals. If you want to spend the money, get a ball head. Tons better than the pan-tilt heads, but hey.....$29 is nice on the wallet.

- darren

Last edited:
Backpacking tripod

This is what I use. Ultrapod My pictures are never the quality of what I see people post here, and I know nothing about ISO or FL :eek: , so I don't know if it will work for you.
The velco can be wrapped around a trekking pole that is then stuck in the dirt or leaned against something or it can be wrapped around a sappling. I find it handy and don't suppose you could get any lighter or too much less expensive.

ultrapod

I tried one of those, found it useless. The head slips under the weight of an SLR camera, and even with a small P&S the legs are so short you might as well just set your camera on the ground. Strapping the thing to a pole as a monopod, while perhaps better than hand-held, is just no substitute during the times when you need a tripod. I've stopped carrying it even though it's tiny and weighs nothing: found it not worth the time spent attaching the camera to it.
If I'm going out with the intention of catching a sunset or a waterfall, I carry a sub-$30 full-size aluminum tripod that looks a lot like what Darren linked to. Otherwise it's hand-held or find a handy cairn.

I can't afford a carbon fiber tripod either, so I just huck my heavy one in the backcountry and do my best to enjoy the experience with the extra 4.5 pounds on my back. I try to tell myself how good of shape I'm getting, but usually end up swearing alot until I see the rewards of the huck...

For those not crazy like I admit to being, any tripod is bettern than no tripod, and I like darren's option. I also have seen specific treking pole monopods that are a GREAT option as long as your shots aren't over a second or so...

Good luck!

w7xman said:
I can't afford a carbon fiber tripod either, so I just huck my heavy one in the backcountry and do my best to enjoy the experience with the extra 4.5 pounds on my back. I try to tell myself how good of shape I'm getting, but usually end up swearing alot until I see the rewards of the huck...

I have never put it on a scale, buy my heavy set up is probably closer to 8 to 10 lbs. Not backpack friendly!

That bigger REI tripod looks close to the SLIK and a little lighter. It would be worth checking out. I probably wouldn't put my 100-400 lens on it, but it could be ok with a small zoom or prime.

- darren

Early Bird said:
This is what I use. Ultrapod

While I too, have several tripods and monopods, a Bogan 3020 among them, I wouldn't dismiss outright the Ultrapod, and the beefier
Ultra Pod II. The former is great for P&S, and the II will support a DSLR. Not great for every outing, but I never leave home without one or the other.

I just ordered a Slik Sprint Pro tripod from B&H; will post my opinion on it after I get to try it out. Hopefully worth the $; I'm not proficient enough of a photographer to buy something expensive. I needed low camera height, that was one of my requirements. They also have a smaller/lighter/cheaper one (Slik Sprint Mini) with less weight carrying capability & less maximum height.

arghman said:
I just ordered a Slik Sprint Pro tripod from B&H; will post my opinion on it after I get to try it out. Hopefully worth the $; I'm not proficient enough of a photographer to buy something expensive. I needed low camera height, that was one of my requirements. They also have a smaller/lighter/cheaper one (Slik Sprint Mini) with less weight carrying capability & less maximum height.

Thanks Jason. That one looks pretty decent. Keep me posted on how it works out. I really want to stay under 2lbs, ideally 1-1.5lbs. I stopped at CompUSA, Best Buy, and Circuity City on the way home, but nothing caught my eye. Best of luck with it.

- Bill

DougPaul said:
I just visited REI on my way back from PT and took a look Carson The Rock Original Tripod (54in, 2lbs, $22.95): http://www.rei.com/product/745097.

It was pretty sturdy, considering the weight and cost.

Doug

It's funny that you mentioned that Doug as I picked up that same tripod at lunch today based on your earlier post. :) I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow. I think I'm going to test it up on Moosilauke.

- Bill

BillK said:
It's funny that you mentioned that Doug as I picked up that same tripod at lunch today based on your earlier post. :) I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow. I think I'm going to test it up on Moosilauke.
I got the last one at the Reading MA store ~2pm...

They still had 3 or 4 of the juniors, for people who like short tripods.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I got the last one at the Reading MA store ~2pm...

They still had 3 or 4 of the juniors, for people who like short tripods.

Doug

Wow. I was at the Reading store at around 11:30.