Hiker missing in NH Whites - Unfortunate ending (Claire Marie Cocuzzo)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are conflicting dates in the 2 reports. But if she was in fact last seen at Galehead Hut on the 29th, check out the flow on the 30th.

The F&G release, which was mentioned in this thread, specifically states "Hikers had spotted someone who they believed to be Cocuzzo on the evening of September 29 staying at the Gale Head Hut atop Garfield Ridge. This informed officials that Cocuzzo had arrived in New Hampshire a week earlier than previously thought." The implication was that this twigged F&G to the possibilities raised by rain on the 30th and perhaps expanded their search further down-drainage.

Gosh - it's hard to imagine what happened. I was on the Gale River Trail again today and noticed the ATV (F&G's) tracks in the mud up (from the parking lot area) to the start of the re-route.

Only a little bit of new information to add: I spoke with the Galehead hut croo over the weekend and they (she) said the recovery effort was on the Gale River trail. She also said that Garfield stream was a thigh-deep ford at the time Cocuzzo was believed to be hiking through. She did not know where the body was actually found, and I didn't press.

I too saw the ATV tracks on Gale River trail this past Saturday morning and made the same connection [Becca - did I see you? I was the family of 4 with 2 young boys heading up to Galehead hut for the night].

Seems to me the most likely scenario is a fall with a heavy pack on either at Garfield stream or some other point along Gale River trail. Could have been the outlook Alex is talking about, could have been scouting for a campsite, could have just gotten a little too close to the river and lost balance while taking a break. Who knows.

HI Hikerbrian - interesting info - Thanks for posting!!! I just cannot picture the Garfield Stream as thigh-deep.... as it wasn't deep at all on Oct 10 when I crossed it a week earlier. I guess it may just be a mystery.

I don't think I saw you hikerbrian on 10/17 - I went to Galehead (~10:15 arrival), then 13 Falls, then back up to the ridge and bushwhacked down Garfield Stream and out - I didn't see too many people.

Ah, ok you were ahead of us, and then we were probably on Galehead or at the hut when you came back in the other direction. I'm reading with keen interest your other thread (on Hawthorne Falls). Back country waterfalls are one of my favorite things in life, though nasty blow-down bushwhacks are one of my least favorite. Still, Justjoe's photos are currently winning the battle.