"Hikers Welcome" ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime

Reaction score
In anticipation of $4.00 gas prices by summer I am planning on doing more local hikes/backpacks in my local area. Local area, btw, is the Conn. River Valley between VT and NH. Fortunately this is a hiking mecca and there is lots I haven't seen and much that I don't know about inspite of it being in my backyard.

So, my question concerns a Hostel in Glencliff, NH called "Hikers Welcome". They have no website that I can find but plenty of good reviews. I believe that there used to be some type of small gear maker associated with them in the past. Anyone have any information they can share and, perhaps links to a website of some type? Is this a place that I would feel comfortable taking my daughters to? Do they serve food? Thanks!

Last edited:
jime said:
So, my question concerns a Hostel in Glencliff, NH called "Hikers Welcome". They have no website that I can find but plenty of good reviews. I believe that there used to be some type of small gear maker associated with them in the past. Anyone have any information they can share and, perhaps links to a website of some type? Is this a place that I would feel comfortable taking my daughters to? Do they serve food? Thanks!
I was there in 2002, but reviews I have read since then shows the place to be similar.

Here's my report for when I stayed there:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/AT_section_3.html#day10

They do not serve food. The shower is out doors and the bunks are all in a big bunk room. The Ritz Carleton this is not, but the owner (John - "Packrat") is a great guy and everyone is nice to every one. It's perfect for long distance AT hikers. May not be perfect for a family.

You might also check WhiteBlaze.com
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/

Do a search and I'm sure you'll get lots of reviews.

The gear making company is "Moonbow". I think this is their site: http://www.moonbowgear.com/ Have no idea if they are still in business, it was pretty iffy in 2002.

Last edited:
Thanks Papa Bear! I actually have used your journals a great deal in planning hikes especially last year when we did the section from 25a to the Dartmouth Skiway etc. Also when we did the AT from someplace in Bridgewater VT to Hanover. Very detailed and helpful!

They are a AT thru hikers hostel and their typical guest served will have been on the trail for 4 or 5 months and is a rest stop for long distance hikers who are getting ready to do the whites. Its not that folks who stay there will be antisocial, its just that their expectations and needs are going to be different from a typical weekend hiker with a family.

peakbagger said:
They are a AT thru hikers hostel and their typical guest served will have been on the trail for 4 or 5 months and is a rest stop for long distance hikers who are getting ready to do the whites. Its not that folks who stay there will be antisocial, its just that their expectations and needs are going to be different from a typical weekend hiker with a family.

I have read that the AT thru hikers can experience some significant changes in their lives. I would expect that weeks or months of walking with your thoughts and solitude along with miles of wear & tear would make me desire: a shower, clean clothes, food, a soft bed & lots of rest and socializing would be low on my list until I rested & feed up.

Not knowing the experience myself, peakbagger what are you saying between the lines?

Little Rickie

If you would care to spend the time checking out my prior posts and reputation, you will see that I dont generally play games or go between the lines, feel free to use up my share. I have done the AT and have used the services of many AT shelters but not that particular one. I do know of them from years of reading White Blaze posts and talking to thru hikers who have stayed there. I have recomended them to many as the best source to get info on slacking the whites.

The person asked if it would be a good place to take his daughters. I dont know him or his daughters well enough to make that decision for him. Nevertheless, a hostel that caters to thru hikers may not be regarded as a typical family destination for a "typical" family. The beds may be flat bunks and most likely dont have any linens, occasional alcohol and recreational drug use may be present, the relative cleanliness and condition of the facilities may not be up to an "average" persons standards, the language used may be a bit more foul. Does that make it bad or good? Its all in the eye of the person using the place, to a thru hiker its a big step up from the last few days of trail from Hanover or as and end point after an extended hike through the whites. To someone expecting a Joe Dodge lodge hostel experience its a step down.

peakbagger said:
If you would care to spend the time checking out my prior posts and reputation, you will see that I dont generally play games or go between the lines, feel free to use up my share. .

I didn't intend that to be perceived as a accusatory statement. Sorry.

Thanks for the explaination of the AT shelters.

HikersWelcome

I'm not sure I'm thinking of the right place, but when I hiked the AT, I think I stayed at this place in Glencliff. I'm thinking maybe the AT guide (shorter book with lodging/transportation/etc and numbers) has the number/details in there. I have since thrown out my book or I'd look it up for you. Hopefully this helps.
Spitfire

Again, thank you all for your valuable input. I am going to check it out by myself on a hike this summer and use a different location for the kids, on another trip. One of the nicest things about living in this area is that there is no shortage of great hikes!