Hikes in So. NH or MA?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCE

Reaction score
I have a friend who will be visiting the Milford / Nashua NH area this weekend. They wanted to do a hike within about a 60 mile radius of Milford / Nashua. Monadnock has been done, so something else would be ideal.

I usually hike more up in the Whites and other 4Ks, so I'm not all that familiar with hike more in the souther NH / MA area.

Any suggestions for hikes with "vistas" or other nice hikes?

Thanks!

JCE

Cardigan would be another - both it and Kearsarge South are an hour drive. Something much closer, just not as big would be North & South Uncanoonuc in Goffstown. Here is a link to a thread and trip report:

Mt Uncanoonuc Thread

Of course Waterville Valley is just over an hour away where you could do the Welch Dickey Loop, Sandwich Dome, or Mt Tecumseh.

I work in Milford and do daily trail walk/runs on local trails. Here are a few.
Milford NH Trails Tucker Brook is the biggest, nothing really special, just nice walks in the woods.

The Wapack is a long 1 day hike, but has many good section hikes.
Wapack Trail One of my favorite quickies is S. Pack Monadnock - up the Wapack and down the Marian Davis Trail(3 miles).

Other close favorites are Bald Mountain in Antrim(Nice 2.5 mile loop with views and loons in Willard Pond), North Pack Monadnock(3 mile rt with great views), Skatutakee in Hancock,Skatutakee Map (Good loop hike from the Harris Center with great views), Watatic is just over the MA border(Nice loop hike at the S. end of the Wapack), and Gap Mountain in Troy.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Patuckaway, its down 101 a bit on the Deerfield/Nottingham/Raymond line, maybe 45 minutes.

Bear Brook is just past Hooksett in Allenstown, also not bad.

Southern NH Guide

Many are probably aware of it but for those who aren't, the AMC now has a Southern NH Trail Guide (in its second edition) that is a great resource for non-Whites hiking. All of the NH suggestions so far, except the Milford/Tucker Brook trails, are covered.

sapblatt said:
Pack Monadnock is quick and fun...
Mount Wachusets has really nice views....

South Pack Monadnock has allot of "bang for the buck", plus a fire tower on the summit, 2.8 miles, 790 feet elevation gain. You can also extend it over to North Pack Monadnock, and that would add approximately another 5 miles round trip, plus the additional elevation, a good afternoon hike.

Pawtuckaway State park on Highway 101 in So. NH is good too, you can do some small peaks and a fire tower too.

There is also Federal Hill Fire Tower, which if memeory serves is also in Milford. I went there last year, you can do a search for the TR. Short hike but nice views from the fire tower.

I would stick with the Wapack trail if you are looking for any distance. Trail has many areas with awesome outlooks. The southern portions is one of my favorite areas. I have always considered Watatic as my favorite little mountain in the world.

Another nice hike would be Gap Mt. on the Troy/Fitzwilliam line. In my opinion it has the best view in the Monadnock area with Monadnock towering just 4 miles away.

"Hiking in the Monadnock Region" by Joe A..... (cannot think of last name) is a good guide to the area. Also the Wapack has its own guide book and map. Both can be bought at EMS or maybe found in the local libary.

Have fun and I do miss those mountains. brianW