Hiking a NH peak called "The Captain"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the same hill in both photos - yours is focused on The Captain while mine is just a general photo looking southwest. The Captain is there, however.

Tim
I didn't see it at first!! It is a little turd hill!! You were standing in the snow though -- during the summer months, I've never gotten a view.

Can't wait for summer...

-Dr. Wu

Wu, I am thinking about wacking from Lincoln Woods or the hairpin to 302 this fall. I plan to take in the Captain in route. Some other fun peaks like Anderson and Lowell as well. One or two nights. Want to go?

As Wu implied, a Hancocks-Carrigain traverse is possible for the true spruce-eater...I've heard of it being done but can't recall the inspired lunatics who undertook it.
A couple guys went from M Hancock to Carrigain in November a few years ago and posted a trip report here, which presumably vanished it one of the purges of old notes. One guy has since been banned and the other is inactive so doubt you'll see a reply from them. They carried winter overnight gear but being tough eggs finished in a day.

I made it to the top of the Captain quite a while ago. Took first logging road on right after Sawyer Pond parking lot, and went into the valley. Followed the stream up between Captain and Hancock, where there is a nice ribbon of open granite to walk on. Then scratched up to the right to the top. Visited Carrigain Pond on way down.
On my second attempt, done at the time that Sawyer Pond Road was closed for repairs from a landslide, I was hiking up that granite ribbon between Hancock and the Captain. I climbed up a short steep secion of rock, felt a scrape on my left leg, looked down and had a 3 inch gash in my leg.
Tied my t-shirt around it and walked out. Dunked it a few times in brook water. Felt like I was returning from Getteysburg out on the Sawyer Pond road, with bikers going by.
Got 20 stiches. The nurse was upset to see hemlock needles in the cut, but it was probably a hell of a lot cleaner than most cuts.

I almost made it to the Captain a few years back but turned back because I was alone and losing daylight. I had left most of my overnight stuff at a campsite in the Pemi and wasn't planning to spend the night there, so I figured it was better to be safe then sorry, lol.

If anyone's interested in going there late summer/early fall this year please PM or e-mail me. Thanks, Fred

A couple guys went from M Hancock to Carrigain in November a few years ago and posted a trip report here, which presumably vanished it one of the purges of old notes. One guy has since been banned and the other is inactive so doubt you'll see a reply from them. They carried winter overnight gear but being tough eggs finished in a day.

Roy - thanks for posting this. That's a tough trip that those guys did in November. --Mike

I made it to the top of the Captain quite a while ago. Took first logging road on right after Sawyer Pond parking lot, and went into the valley. Followed the stream up between Captain and Hancock, where there is a nice ribbon of open granite to walk on. Then scratched up to the right to the top. Visited Carrigain Pond on way down.
On my second attempt, done at the time that Sawyer Pond Road was closed for repairs from a landslide, I was hiking up that granite ribbon between Hancock and the Captain. I climbed up a short steep secion of rock, felt a scrape on my left leg, looked down and had a 3 inch gash in my leg.
Tied my t-shirt around it and walked out. Dunked it a few times in brook water. Felt like I was returning from Getteysburg out on the Sawyer Pond road, with bikers going by.
Got 20 stiches. The nurse was upset to see hemlock needles in the cut, but it was probably a hell of a lot cleaner than most cuts.

Quite a trip on the first excursion. Regarding the 2nd - ouch. I'll remember to stay off that steep section of rock should I ever get the opportunity to go up the Captain.

Assuming turpentine can be derived from Hemlock needle resin (I don't know if this is true), the needles might have served as a very mild antiseptic for your wound.:rolleyes:

--Mike