Hiking Greylock in the Berkshires?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
Does anyone know some of the basics about hiking Mt Greylock in the Berkshires?

Where is the trailhead?

What is the average hiking time?

What are the distance and elevation change?

I am planning to hike 12-19.

Thank you, Beaner :)

Last edited:
As you'll notice on the map, there are a lot of trails and trailheads on Greylock.

The Hopper Trail on the west side is well maintained, easy to follow and never very steep.

My favorite trail on Greylock is the Thunderbolt Trail. I think it is the shortest way to the peak, but it is very steep. (It is a ski trail, so if there is snow on the ground you might want to avoid it). It comes in from the east side of the mountain.

The AT from the north is a longish hike, but it very nice. Never very steep and it has some nice views.

You can also take the AT from the south, but I have never done so.

I may be heading up there on Friday. I remember thunderbolt being steep. Is it a good place to practice self-arrest?

Has anyone been up there in the last week? Enough snow for self-arrest practice.

-percious

I was up there early last winter in similar conditions to now, and hiked the Bellows Pipe Trail (similar to Thunderbolt but not quite as steep), and we could see the Thunderbolt in several places. Right now there is not likely to be quite enough snow for self-arrest practice, but it's getting close. However, warm temps and beaucoup de rain (pluie?) are expected the next 48 hrs, followed by a freeze-up. So this weekend I'd expect ice, but perhaps not enough cover for good crampon/iceax practice. I'd bring crampons though... even if not much ice, there is enough dirt/leaves/rocks on the trail to make it either barebootable or cramponable (i.e., not verglas on rock like you'd expect further north). In fact I remember thinking last year as we hiked that trail that antibotts for crampons would not be likely to work on leaves, but that wearing crampons around my yard would do double duty as lawn aerator/leaf rake. Enjoy.

-Weatherman

percious said:
I may be heading up there on Friday. I remember thunderbolt being steep. Is it a good place to practice self-arrest?

Has anyone been up there in the last week? Enough snow for self-arrest practice.

-percious

I can see the top of the Thunderbolt trail from my driveway. There was a recent report for the trail under Trail Conditions. I don't think there's enough snow for self-arresting anywhere, especially after the rain that's predicted for Wednesday.

There are several trailheads for hiking up Mt. Greylock. I'd recommend getting either the AMC guide or the Williams College guide.

A nice loop is to park at the trailhead on Gould Rd., head northwest on the Bellows Pipe extension to intersect the Thunderbolt Trail, follow that to the summit, and descend via the Hopper and Gould Trails back to the car. That should take about 4 or 5 hours round trip. Elevation change for that route is about 2300 ft. vertical.

Another good loop is to park at the Cheshire Harbor trailhead on West Mountain Rd., follow that trail to the Old Adams Rd, to the AT, to the summit. Then follow the AT north to the summit road, follow the road around the east side of the summit to the Cheshire Harbor trail back to the trailhead.

My favorite is to park at the Hopper trailhead, go up the Haley Farm Trail to Stony Ledge, then follow Sperry Rd. to the Hopper trail to the summit. On the way down, follow the AT north to the Old Summit Rd. then go left to cross Notch Rd. and intersect the Money Brook trail. Follw Money Brook back to the car. That's about a 10 mile loop with about 2500 ft. total elevation change.

I think it's deer season in Mass., so wear appropriate clothing.

Greylock is, in my mind, a bit of a quirky mountain to hike, partly due to the road up and over the top that carries lots of people in spring/fall/summer, and, I assume snowmobiles in winter (??). Peronally, I much prefer the soutwestern Mass mountains along the AT and the nearby Taconics in New York. Much more of a wilderness experience in my opinion. However, I do enjoy some of the trails on Greylock. Thunderbolt or Bellows Pipe or even Cheshire Harbor all seem too short to make into a reasonable day hike, unless they're linked with other trails.

My own favorite: Park at the Hopper/Money Brook Trailhead at the end of Hopper Road off Route 43. Take the Money Brook trail, then left on the Mt. Prospect Trail, up, steeply over Mt. Prospect, then right on the AT and over Mt. Williams, Then over Mt. Fitch and then on to the top of Greylock. Then down the Hopper Trail back to the tailhead (this trail coincides with Sperry Road for a short while). That's a nice hike of about 10-12 miles with four summits, decent elevation, and especially in late fall and winter, lots of nice views through the trees to surrounding countyside.

You can assume snowmobiles in the winter on Greylock. However, I doubt you'll see any yet. The regulations state: "No person shall operate a snow vehicle upon Department property unless the area superintendent has determined the sub-surface soil of the land of a particular Department property to be solidly frozen and completely covered with a minimum of four (4) inches of hard packed snow or ice."

Call ahead to see if the road is still open to auto traffic - 413-499-4262 or 413-499-4263 . Hopefully you can catch a window where there is no auto or snowmobile traffic.

Mt Greylock's summit can be attained from all four directions. The east and west approaches are the steeper choices, with the AT from the north pretty steep as well early on. The easiest route would be from the southeast going up the Cheshire Harbor trail which intersects with the AT near the top. Bellows Pipe is a nice grade down low and then gets steeper as you get farther along. Saddle Ball mtn in Cheshire is a good choice too. Follow the AT from rte 8 up and over Saddle Ball all the way to Greylock. I believe this route is about 7 1/2 miles.
One time I parked half way up the auto road and followed the AT up to Mts. Williams and Fitch, and then to Greylock. I then decended into the Hopper, which by the way is quite a ways down, and took the Money Brook trail back up to the road and walked back to my car. This was a nice circuit hike.
Lots of choices for you. Have fun, Eric

I hiked the thunderbolt trail in September and it was much steeper than I had anticipated. I think I may have under estimated the trail and was prepared to be dissapointed with Greylock but the opposite was true... a really great mountain in my opinion.

I do remeber the trailhead being a bit hard to locate though as there are lots of little side trails in the area.