Hiking in Bermuda

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Sr

Team Member
Reaction score
I happen to be going on a cruise with the spouse and all my (jeeze) inlaws.
While in Bermuda I figured I could get a day or two break from the YA YA Sisterhood if I take the three teen son and nephews for a hike or overnight.

Does anyone have a clue if such entertainment exists?
some of what I could find seems a bit beaten and trodden by tourists.

I'll be there 1st week in August.

Barry Sr said:
I happen to be going on a cruise with the spouse and all my (jeeze) inlaws.
While in Bermuda I figured I could get a day or two break from the YA YA Sisterhood if I take the three teen son and nephews for a hike or overnight.

Does anyone have a clue if such entertainment exists?
some of what I could find seems a bit beaten and trodden by tourists.

I'll be there 1st week in August.

I was there in 1998. It's pretty well trodden for sure!

Take the kids snorkeling. You won't be able to hear the 'YA YA' under water!
;)

Read the history on the abandoned railroad. It was the most expensive railroad in history. Anyway much of the right-of-way is now a trail, off road, and runs along the crest of much of the island, this would be your only real hiking opp in Bermuda, other than beach walks and the beaches aren't very long. There is a marina in Somerset that will rent you a Boston Whaler. Take snorkling gear, anchor securely and explore some of the reefs near the wrecks.

I'll edit this if I can find more details.

Rail Trail info and history;
http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

marina location I'm familiar with accessed via Cambridge Beaches Resort (very close to Royal Naval Dockyard, if you stop there);
cambridgemap.gif

there are campsites, but I believe they are for residents only;
http://www.bermuda-online.org/accomm1.htm

This kids will want to rent mopeds which can be had anywhere and are now VERY dangerous as the prviously enforced 25 mph speed limit for cars and motorcycles is no longer enforced, plus they drive on the left and there are traffic circles. Try merging into 50 mph traffic on a moped in a 2 lane traffic circle, all flowing the "wrong way". :eek: l

Last edited:
Chip said:
plus they drive on the left and there are traffic circles. Try merging into 50 mph traffic on a moped in a 2 lane traffic circle, all flowing the "wrong way". :eek: l

Try passing one of their buses on the causeway with a moped and two people on it. My wife wound't drive one herself. It took the whole causeway to do that. :eek: :eek:

I didn't know about any hiking places but the water is spectacular and snorkling right off the shore in little wrecks to look at were fantastic.

Keith

Years ago, I rented bicycles and traveled the old rail road right of way and had a great time. It could also make for fun hikes, with stops near several nice beaches. The tourist information centers had maps of the trail available. We also did a lot of walking, making up our own routes and using walking tours recommended by Frommers. These were also quite pleasant.

Frommers does have the walking tours on their website, as well as a description of the railway trail (links to the tours are on the right):
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091010008.html

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just might go and land a 800lb marlin instead.
my son is balking at the walking thing again.

The bike thing sounds really great though, maybe the ladies will like to go with me.