Hiking Pole Fix Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Hiking Pole Fix Advice - Fixed (I hope)

I bent a Komperdell 2-piece hiking pole about ½ inch above the basket at 30 degrees. I was able to straighten it but now I have a crack/crease at that point so there's no trust there. The pole is 3/8” diameter at the point of the crease. I may just get new poles but am looking at a possible fixes..

1) Cut the pole at the crease and epoxy a length of dowel to reconnect. I’m concerned, though, that I won’t have enough to hold the dowel if I cut at the crease.

2) Cut a couple inches above the crease and do the dowel/epoxy fix. This should take the crease out of the picture. Can’t think of any negatives with this one.

Thoughts on either fix or other options? I do like the poles and can't see spending another $100+ on new.

Unfortunately the first test of the pole will be on a mult-day hike and I'm a big fan of poles. Especially with a big pack.

Last edited:
You could cut them both off at the crease measurement and reattach/insert the basket module up higher with epoxy. You might need to ream out the basket module to rid it of the old pole though.

You could cut them both off at the crease measurement and reattach/insert the basket module up higher with epoxy. You might need to ream out the basket module to rid it of the old pole though.

Ha! You seriously overestimate my skill with tools :D (as I try to type with a finger that has stiches freshly removed after "the table saw incident")... :eek:

Ha! You seriously overestimate my skill with tools :D (as I try to type with a finger that has stiches freshly removed after "the table saw incident")... :eek:

Did you ever use an "easy out" to remove a broken bolt ? Something like that might work in this application. If there is enough taper in the pole, it might fit right in on its own. Or there might be new basket modules available at a ski shop or some such.

I'd call the manufacturer and see what they say. They may want to examine them and may even offer to replace them.

Don't need any tools for that. :D

I don't know if, with the type of metal poles are made of, if a repair would ever be as stong or as reliable as it was?

Did you ever use an "easy out" to remove a broken bolt ? Something like that might work in this application. Or there might be new basket modules available at a ski shop or some such.

Worth a shot... So this beats option 2?? EMS website shows they have the replacement tips in stock in Portland. Maybe I'll shoot down there and see how they go together BEFORE cutting...

Thanks!

Depending upon how much you value your time, or your fingers, you might want to consider the other option of buying a new one. This one, having already failed, may have other similar weaknesses.

Did you check with the manufacturer or retailer about a possible replacement under either a warranty or at least some credit for what may have been a defect?

I quick fix option is to just slide a tight piece of pvc pipe over the bent area and then duct tape it. I've done that with tent polls and it's worked really well.

Beyond that, though, getting new poles would be the best option. Like rickie said, call the company, maybe they can work something out.

I managed to replace one of my poles for a good part of a winter with a fix that is a little more complicated, but once it was on it was bomber:

Find an old ski pole (approx the same diameter) cut a length of 3-4". Cut this length of tube lengthwise so you have 2 half circles. Put both halves around the weakened section such that the seam 90 degrees out of phase from the weakness. Attach the new pole sections with hose clamps.

I wish I had a picture for this as it would make a lot more sense.

Did you check with the manufacturer or retailer about a possible replacement under either a warranty or at least some credit for what may have been a defect?

It's a good pole and has held up well to "normal" use and beyond. I'd buy them again. Using them as a pry bar to free a tent stake hammered into a root is probably considered unusual. I can't honestly call it a defect...

It's a good pole and has held up well to "normal" use and beyond. I'd buy them again. Using them as a pry bar to free a tent stake hammered into a root is probably considered unusual. I can't honestly call it a defect...

Not in the pole. :p:D just joking

Last edited:
Good Intuition

I managed to replace one of my poles for a good part of a winter with a fix that is a little more complicated, but once it was on it was bomber:

Find an old ski pole (approx the same diameter) cut a length of 3-4". Cut this length of tube lengthwise so you have 2 half circles. Put both halves around the weakened section such that the seam 90 degrees out of phase from the weakness. Attach the new pole sections with hose clamps.

This makes perfect sense - i'll keep this one in mind if i ever need it.

FYI - Black Diamond sells replacement sections, middles and bottoms, for their trekking poles at their web site. The prices are incredibly good (I think I paid $13 for a middle and a bottom together, before shipping, which depends on how quickly you need them). Just don't break the top/handle section, and you needn't pay full price again.

I quick fix option is to just slide a tight piece of pvc pipe over the bent area and then duct tape it. I've done that with tent polls and it's worked really well.

While both these sound good for a mid-pole break my concern here is that the crimp is only 1/2" above the basket. In both cases the supporting piece would only overlap the lower part of the pole by 1/2". That's why I was thinking of coming in from the inside with a dowel where I might be able to go "south" of the basket with the reinforcement.

Make sense?

What these suggestions tell me, though, is to carry some sort of "pole splint" type material with my other McGuyver stuff I carry (including duct tape) to use in case I need to fix a pole mid-hike...

By some 1/2" (you might need something bigger) copper tubing and keep a 6" piece of it with you at all times. When a pole breaks, slid the tubing over the bend and with your duct tape you keep with you at all times (right? ---wrap it around a water bottle---) slide the tubing sleeve over the bend/break, tape it up, and you are good. I've gone on a few trips with my repair before finally replacing it. This sleeve can work as a straw to dip into muddy water, and also to repair a tent pole in the field.

Not sure on your poles, but with my BD poles there are three sections. I got a replacement after I snapped one and I keep one of the spare lengths with me now instead of the copper sleeve.