Hiking Socks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheap polypro liners and whatever wool socks my hand first touches when I reach into my thick sock drawer. Works for me every time.

OK, I do use fleece socks in my plastics in the winter.

Smartwool with no liners.... I use the same socks for hiking as do for just hanging out. They outlast anything else I have tried.

Wool. Anytime. Anywhere.

Merino wool for dress up, smartwool for winter dress up, wigwam 100% wool for hiking and relaxing.

FWIW - Year round WrightSock Merino Hiker as a base sock. It's a double layer sock and I've yet to get a blister! Has a Coolmax inner layer and a Merino wool outer layer.

In winter I throw a Patagonia expedition weight sock on top and for the rest of the year a mid weight EMS Smartwool sock.

The Wright sock is the key component - and they have a wide range for all conditions and sports. Check them out HERE I am not affiliated in any way, but a huge fan.

Bob

Smartwool or coolmax can both be purchased at EMS. I know I know.. EMS.. YUCK! But seriously... I hike in all coolmax gear and it keeps good care of my feet and groinus maximus.

Funny, I'm wearing Smartwools now. Full of holes. At least they fit better than the original ones that came out 7 or 8 years ago. A 9-12 was definitely more of a 12 and I'm more of a 9.5.
My vote is Cabela's merino wools, no liners. Driest feet (or at least the sensation of being the driest feet) I've ever had. And 2 pair for the price of one pair of Smartwool (or 2 socks for the price of one Smartwool).

Smartwool with liners. Try em on with the boots you're gonna wear so you get the thickness right on the various weights.

I like the Smartwool. Heavy in my winter boots, midweights while wearing my leather boots. LLBean Factory Outlet, North Conway, NH, has a ton of them labelled irregular and, as already mentioned, I can't find any defects.

I recently tried their Merino wool socks, love them too.

I always bring a back-up pair of socks and base-layer shirt in a plastic bag. When I'm done climbing, I change the socks and shirt. This makes my body and feet dry and happy for the rest of the hike. :)

did anyone mention smartwool yet? :D but it's gonna be barefoot hikin' season soon! no kiddin'. ya ever try it? last summer i hiked the field and tom loop barefoot. it's easy actually. no kiddin'. i wouldn't hike around say adams or anything, but tom and field were easy. i imagine there's some other places barefootable as well.

Dissent . . .

Ragg wool. Heavy weight. (Getting hard to find these days.) With a poly or other wicking liner.

G.

In the winter I use anything thick & heavy... Thorlo's, Ragg wool, or Acorn Fleece. The rest of the year it's one pair of anything thin and light... X-Static liners, WalMart Nylon dress socks, or thin coolmax.