How bad are the bears at Marcy Dam?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
I'll take this one on myself........ Not so bad this time of year. :D

Just taking her for a test drive Darren. Thanks Darren, Peakbagr and Dave for all that you do. Pretty nice place you got going on here. THANKS AGAIN :cool:

mavs00 said:
I'll take this one on myself........ Not so bad this time of year. :D

Just taking her for a test drive Darren. Thanks Darren, Peakbagr and Dave for all that you do. Pretty nice place you got going on here. THANKS AGAIN :cool:
Especially if you have a Bear Canister, which is required in many places now, but not in Winter.

Like Mavs said, thanks Darren and other mods for all your hard work!

There was a rumor a few years back that one or 2 of the bears that made nightly raids were actually hobos in bear costumes...... wonder what ever came of that story?

I'll have to ask a ranger up there next time I see one. ;) :rolleyes: :)

Rik said:
There are bears at Marcy Dam?
Bare butts a-plenty if you know when and where to look.

At the winter Gathering in VT, we saw fresh bear tracks in the snow. Pretty wild. I bet their bodies are all screwed up with the warm temp so late into the season.

I pretty confident that they are hibernating right now, but I wouldn't doubt some came out to get food before the real cold temps and snow started.

As for Marcy "Damn", I've camped there several times all the way up to Avalanche lean-to's and never saw one or even heard one. Lucky I guess.

I would be very interested in seeing a good (meaning, "reliable" and "objective") "progress" report on the bear problem at Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, Flowed Lands and up the Johns Brook Valley since the canister push and regulation kicked in. Have canisters made a difference in the direction of improvement? How much of a difference? Etc. ...

G.

Grumpy said:
I would be very interested in seeing a good (meaning, "reliable" and "objective") "progress" report on the bear problem at Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, Flowed Lands and up the Johns Brook Valley since the canister push and regulation kicked in. Have canisters made a difference in the direction of improvement? How much of a difference? Etc. ...

G.

That's a really good idea, although I think it may be a little too soon for the data to show anything. My guess is data would need to be collected over a broad time period (five years maybe?) that would include multiple summer seasons.

Agreed, that longer term data probably would paint a more reliably accurate picture. I certainly would not rely on a single year's experience as being "definitive." But it would be interesting to see if there was any apparent immediate benefit (or not) that came with implementation of the canister rule.

G.

Applying Murphy's law it is possible that the human-habituated bear's will learn to wait until the campers' supper is out and being prepared and will then shoulder the hikers out of the way and eat everything available.

Neil said:
Applying Murphy's law it is possible that the human-habituated bear's will learn to wait until the campers' supper is out and being prepared and will then shoulder the hikers out of the way and eat everything available.
The bear that was shot last year did this! :eek: