How do you get off from work?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I'm reading, getting the time off from work isn't the problem and most people don't have to do anything unique (I think this is what Coldfeet was asking).
However, I have had to come up with some serious "compromises" to get the time off from the wife.
My recent 10 day Sierra trip is costing me a new car!
(I gotta learn to bargain better)

I'm a state worker now so we get lots of vacation and personal leave time, but when I was a college instructor, I would sometimes give my class the option - we either come back on Friday or go a little longer today.

They would always say, "let's go a little longer today," and not one student walked out when the class went a little late. Then we'd all have Friday off. Of course, in case anybody felt slighted, I would always offer to provide a project or assignment for them to do to make up the time if they wanted. Nobody ever asked for that either.

I get 4 weeks of vacation and 1/2 day Fridays. it's those Fridays that give me any hope of reaching the Whites on the weekend.

My boss knows about the outdoor stuff and is generally understanding. I tend to reserve a few floating vacation days that I can take on a moments notice to go chasing northern lights. They also understand the "I'll be back sometime during these 2 days, it depends on how many feet of snow are on the ground". While I'm not on call, I do have to stay until it's fixed if there's a network or server problem. I make sure there isn't and get the benefit of just add water vacation days.

And I'm on Pete with my "staff". We work it out, but in case of conflict, he gets the day.

I've only had to use sick time to recover from a trip, not to go on one.

Tell the boss someone died and their request was to have their ashes spread on a mountain top :D

Actually you earn your vacation days. They are yours to use as you wish. I just notify my boss I am taking my vacation day(s) and have one of my co-workers cover any emergencies that may come up. Most people don't schedule meetings for Friday, so it's easy to take of a Friday.

After 15 years in one department with limited Travel I changed to one that had more business travel in the NE. I almost never drive with anyone & we are done around 12:00 on Friday with the planned 2-4 hour drive back home to CT. (oddly my car goes north instead when north of Catskills or when possible in north of the MA Pike)

Since I'm half way to the Mountains, luckily my wife is not real good with maps, it's easier to schedule a 1/2 Friday hike, stay over or camp & then hike Saturday too. :D

I just read through this thread, the different viewpoints are interesting...

I get 5 weeks vacation, a few personal days, and 12 sick days each year. It all rolls into the next year if I don't use it. We always have to fill out a request, which can be denied. Taking vacation never was too much of a problem, but my bosses change with the administration and this administration is nasty. The bosses are workaholics who put the job ahead of their families, and expect the rest of us to be as miserable as them. Some employees are right on that bandwagon as well (can you say "no life") and lapse sick AND vacation time. I can't even imagine! :eek:

Three years ago, I had 10 weeks off - 5 vacation and 5 sick. Some of that vacation was comp time.
Then the new admin came in. No more comp time, no vacation time before a conference we were putting on, and my usual 2 weeks off in September was cut to one week.
This year, we were not allowed to request vacation time after September 1. I like a week in summer, but I love fall - it's the best time to be outdoors. I had to come in and work a few hours on each of two days of one vacation in June/July. I'd love to take extra days in winter, but am lucky to get a day here and there for Baxter trips.

I'm glad I have a job, I'm glad I get so much time but...you bet I call in sick.
:D

I've been tempted to call in sick for a hiking day, but I'm always too afraid that that would be THE day that I injury myself and/or get lost in the woods, can't get out on my own, have to be rescued, and make the evening news - while my boss watches how I spend my "sick day."

OMG, after reading some of these horror stories I am more happy than ever that I am self employed!!

I get 20 days plus 4 floaters (I had 4 extra days this year). I literally plan my entire year in advance. We need to "post" our vacation on our department calendar. Mine is on there on the first working day of the year. I've found that people just ask for a different day if someone else has that day already picked. We rarely have conflicts, and they know that unless I have a trip planned, I'm always willing to swap out a day.

It's a lot easier to get a July week off in January than it is in June. Plan early. As for winter, with the group I work with, I can get ANY day off. They's all rather stay indoors anyway

I get 5+ weeks a year personal time, which is combined sick and vacation time, plus 11 holidays. I work as a mechanical engineer and have to respond to customer commitments and deadlines. Some projects go smooth and ahead of schedule, some require major efforts to complete. During tight schedules I have had to work the weekend before and the weekend after a vacation in order to meet my deadlines. This summer has been a tough one for me and I have only been able to scratch out a couple of random days off. I was able to take a week off in April to go hiking in the Sedona area but had to call and check emails a couple of times during the week. But it isn't all bad. If the winter is slow I can often leave before noon on Fridays to go skiing, or if we get good snow locally I can come in late in the mornings and ski in the woods with Chica before work. The last few years have been busy for us, but in 1999 (wow, that seems so long ago!) we had a very slow year. I was able to spend 3 weeks in Chile climbing, did a self supported cycling trip from Seattle to San Fran, spent a week in Baxter, got in 20 days of skiing and a couple of long weekends backpacking in the Whites. I am hoping for another slow year soon!

Originally posted by SherpaKroto:
I literally plan my entire year in advance.

me too!
when I'm allowed that is...that's why I like the "old" BSP reservation system (and the old admin for that matter). I scope out my year in December, get my BSP reservations set, then fill in the blanks with other stuff.
:D

and people think I'm strange when they see my organizer...hehe..
:eek:

I support infrastructure for all of the Sears stores in the US. There is a blackout time for vacations from October to January 1st due to the possible loss of revenue if systems went down for too long. My employers urge all to take vacation in the summer when things are slow.

I just ask for a day off ... mark that ... working for the State I just say that I am taking the day off. We get 4 weeks vacation plus 5 personal days.

I've never felt the need to pull a Ferris Bueller and pretend to be sick. Plenty of people at work do this, but they are not really fooling anyone. Their bosses just don't have any incentive to call them on it.