How Do You Keep In Shape For Hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do to keep in shape for hiking?

• Just By Doing It!

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • Strength Training (weights, machines etc.)

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Cardio Training (running, Spinning, biking)

Votes: 61 61.0%
  • 12 Ounce Curls!

Votes: 13 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I'm posting this to get an idea of what some of you on this board do to keep in shape for those long hikes. Sorry if I left anybody's favorite exercise out. I voted for all 4.

I hike. I try to do 1000-1500' of elevation 3 to 4 times a week to get in shape. I can then push that to 3000' or 4000' with no problem. Length is less critical to me than ascent. When the bugs get really awful, I jump on a bike for fun.

I have found running to be perfect training, for me. But, it doesn't work in the reverse.

I use a combo of the first three. I use weights squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, and a bunch of upper body. I also hike a 200' headwall near my house.

Dont' forget the importance of mental training. Read the trip reports and hike vicariously.

Stairmaster

Stairmaster machine. For best results, turn around, facing away from the display, and use it that way. It will take some time to get the balance to do that, but it's worth it. It's good for the quads and the glutes. You'll need to do something else for the calves.

I hike. (Message to short... :rolleyes: ) okay, I hike. :D

walking, light jogging, squats, push ups, sit ups/crunches..
I was going to the gym in winter/early spring, but haven't been in almost a month. when I *was* going, I'd do an hour of cardio (stair mill and treadmill) and then work on my arms and abs, about 3 times per week.
In the summer, I prefer to just get out there and hike.

expat said:
Stairmaster machine. For best results, turn around, facing away from the display, and use it that way. It will take some time to get the balance to do that, but it's worth it. It's good for the quads and the glutes. You'll need to do something else for the calves.

Interesting idea. All the times I've been on the Stairmaster I've never thought to do it that way. I imagine it also works the hamstrings (a hikers best friend) pretty good.

Since I'm always looking for new ideas to add to my workouts, I think I'll try this one. Sounds like it'll help greatly while ascending the trails. Thanks for sharing.

:)

For me, running is the King of Cardio. I hate going to the gym, just can't stand it. Allthough the pounding of running can be tough on the knees I find it stresses/stimulates the quads, calves and butt muscles in a way that can't be beat especially running on a hilly course.
I find an easy pace then increase my speed until a part of my brain asks me to stop then I hold that for 3 to 6 miles. Lately, I've increased my stride length on the premise that this will help for those crazy steep trails, slides and bushwhacks in the ADKs.
The good thing about doing cardio is that the better cardio shape you are in the less muscle sugar you will consume on hikes. (Trust me, this is a good thing. :) )

I avoid running one or sometimes two days before a hike.

You should have been able to do just that. I set it up with checkboxes instead of radio buttons. I voted for all 4, gotta give those 12 oz. curls a vote! :D

depends

Depending on what time of year it is. I am either running,biking or some combination of both. And then for fun it's either mountain bike,xc/skiing or snowshoeing. Which makes it seem like I'm not even training !!

Weights...3 times a week....and HEAVY. Hike on the weekends. Some cardio (mt. biking, climbing, etc.)

hike training

running everyday, upper and lower body strength training with weights 4x a week-----and a really healthy diet--