Why Does My Tent Fly Smell Like Poop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
So I have a North Face tent I use once or twice a year when I camp with my wife and the past few times out we've detected the faint smell of poop or sewage or something with it. One night we both kinda wondered if the other was having stomach issues but after some discussion we start sniffing around and determined the fly on the tent seemed to be the source of the smell. To start with the obvious, no there was not any poop on the fly or the tent, no mud, nothing at all really that we could find. It doesn't show any signs of delaminating or peeling at all. It's maybe 4-5 years old now at this point.

Any idea what the heck is causing it and how I would get the aroma out of it? I've aired it out a few times and it seems fine but when you crawl in at night and zip everything up that aroma returns. Was thinking about tumbling it on the no heat cycle in the dryer with something . Maybe I could soak it or spray it with something? If anyone has run into this odd occurrence before and has thoughts on a cure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sad to say it means the polyurethane coating on the nylon is breaking down. There is no cure but there is justification to buy a new tent. Its not really use related as much as age and how it was originally coated and with what specific product. Some firms would replace the tent under warrantee, like Beans but most regard it as a normal life. Newer sil nylon of dynema tents to do use this coating.

One site recommended soaking it in dish soap for an hour and using a stiff brush to remove the polyethylene coating. I would think that would negate any remaining water resistance.

Not sure how you store it, but I have found tent flys need to breath in storage to minimize the stink. Stored rolled and stuffed in the carry bag that cannot happen.

Unfortunately for you that horse has left the barn.

I noticed that when the urethane coating starts to degrade three things happen. It gets an odor, it starts to get tacky, and it starts to peel off the fabric. I have prolonged the life of my tarp by dusting it with talc powder. I chose unscented talc to avoid any animal issues. I was able to get the unscented talc but if I could not get it, I would have used scented talc and perhaps that would help with the off odor.

Not sure how you store it, but I have found tent flys need to breath in storage to minimize the stink. Stored rolled and stuffed in the carry bag that cannot happen.

Unfortunately for you that horse has left the barn.
Yah and that is generally how I store them. Never really had an issue with any of my many other tents. Something about the North Face materials that do this. My last Mountain 25 tent lasted 20+ years but the fly delaminated and flaked pretty badly. No poop smell but the flakes getting all over everything was annoying. This tent is only 4 or 5 years old, or that is when I bought it at least. Maybe it had been stored longer.

One site recommended soaking it in dish soap for an hour and using a stiff brush to remove the polyethylene coating. I would think that would negate any remaining water resistance.
This is more labor intensive that it may sound and would require then applying a new PU coating. IMnotsoHO, it's not worth the time. Get a new tent and store it loosely in a large cotton sack, e.g. a large laundry bag, in a dry, cool space.

My recommendation for tents is Big Agnes—great tents and outstanding warranty and customer service.

Don’t know re: North Face, but I had an MSR fly that delaminated. MSR replaced it. If it is tacky, as others have said, it probably is that. I’d call their customer service number, usually available by googling, and see if they can replace for free or reduced price. All other comments re: storing etc are good ones and ones I will consider to prevent others from doing same.

My 20-odd year old TNF Mountain Tent fly seam tape was peeling and the tent floor was sticky. I filled out a warranty claim online and a few weeks later I was told to send it in for evaluation. They deemed it non-reparable (I wish I’d kept the poles!) and I was issued an e-gift card for the original purchase price. I can’t remember how much it was, but I waited until there was a sale and ordered a new Mountain 25. Someone at TNF dropped the ball and my tent never shipped, when they were back in stock they sent it at the previous sale price with an additional 20% off for the screwup. I think I ended up paying a little over $500 for it.

I have a 40 yr old NF Westwind tent that had peeled and that had strong musty/mildew/mold smell. So never used it, but never thriew it out. Didn't know that NF warranteed tens. I'm sure mine is way too old. Loved that tent.

Don’t know re: North Face, but I had an MSR fly that delaminated. MSR replaced it. If it is tacky, as others have said, it probably is that. I’d call their customer service number, usually available by googling, and see if they can replace for free or reduced price. All other comments re: storing etc are good ones and ones I will consider to prevent others from doing same.
There is absolutely no evidence of any degrading or damage. It just has a mild poop smell we notice when it's set up and we are in it. If you just smell the fly by itself you can barely detect the odor.

I have a 40 yr old NF Westwind tent that had peeled and that had strong musty/mildew/mold smell. So never used it, but never thriew it out. Didn't know that NF warranteed tens. I'm sure mine is way too old. Loved that tent.
Huge fan of their tent designs. I've had several Mountain 25's over the years, primarily for shoulder season foul weather car camping. Intended to try Winter camping with it a few years back and quickly decided a 10lb tent for a solo backpacker was not going to cut it.

Huge fan of their tent designs. I've had several Mountain 25's over the years, primarily for shoulder season foul weather car camping. Intended to try Winter camping with it a few years back and quickly decided a 10lb tent for a solo backpacker was not going to cut it.
Try the Marmot Hammer, it’s a 2P single-wall Bibler-style tent that weighs <4lb without the vestibule. If you have a very lofty or 6’6” bag it’ll probably touch at the head and/or the foot. But it’s light and has a lot of guyout points (7 or 8 IIRC.)

Attachments

• 376BD0AA-9E54-4C51-AE04-D8D1EDA8E5CB.jpeg
    376BD0AA-9E54-4C51-AE04-D8D1EDA8E5CB.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Try the Marmot Hammer, it’s a 2P single-wall Bibler-style tent that weighs <4lb without the vestibule. If you have a very lofty or 6’6” bag it’ll probably touch at the head and/or the foot. But it’s light and has a lot of guyout points (7 or 8 IIRC.)
I own 12 tents, 4 of which are Marmot. Big fan of the Marmot brand. I have 2 single wall tents (neither of these are Marmot) for my cold weather camping when I actually go do it.

I noticed that when the urethane coating starts to degrade three things happen. It gets an odor, it starts to get tacky, and it starts to peel off the fabric. I have prolonged the life of my tarp by dusting it with talc powder. I chose unscented talc to avoid any animal issues. I was able to get the unscented talc but if I could not get it, I would have used scented talc and perhaps that would help with the off odor.
Just a comment on talc: as you probably know, you almost cannot buy real talc anymore, due to the lawsuit against J&J for the baby powder. However, if you get "tire talc" for dusting inner tubes, it's unscented and it's real talc. I bought a big container, in case the government bans it altogether. Nice and smooth, and the real McCoy!