How long did it take you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
The following post in trail conditions by an unregistered guest got me thinking. How long has it taken you to complete the L.T. (or A.T., P.C.T., M&M, or whatever long distance hiking trail you can think of)?
For yours truly it took from Dec. of '70 until July of '07 to finish the L.T. (36 years, 8 mos.).

BTW, congrats on your finish!

-------------------------------------
From VT trail conditions:

May 29, 2010

Parked car on RT 15 outside of Johnson and started to hike south on the LT.
The destination was Chilcoot Pass about 9 miles away.

The trail was rather dry with one mud patch near Overhang Rock.

Water and bug spray was needed.

Great day hike with my friends Joe, Kathy, Rick and Rhonda.
Upon reaching Chilcoot pass, it marked my completion of the Long Trail,
End To End! FINALLY !

Time it took to hike the entire Long Trail: 39 years 9 months.

I'm about 2/3's of the way thru in a handful of long dayhikes. Probably 30 years to this point. I might give his 36 year time frame a go with the frequency I get on the LT. :eek:

It took me from May 1970 to July 2009 to finish section hiking AT. Of course there was about a 15 to 20 year break in the mix;)

I've completed the Long Trail twice. I took me two years the first time by doing sections every month for two consecutive summers. The second time it took me three years using my two week vacations. As for the AT, I started in 1978 and finally completed it in 1990.

Interesting question.

I grew up near the LT at Jonesville & walked on it from a very early age, but from deciding to do the whole thing to actually finishing it was about two years, from summer of '87 to September of '89. I didn't get around to reporting it & getting my patch until 2008, though. LOL

I thru-hiked the AT in 1991, all in one shot.

I started working on the ADK 46 in July of 1986. I'm presently at 44 with Seymour & Santanoni remaining.

I guess I started keeping track of the NH 4K's in 1987 or so ... I'm at around 32 I think.

I don't mind the slow road.

Cool post from the 39+ year Long Trail hiker.

I've done some lists/trails fast, some slow. All speeds have their merits, IMHO. Probably the slowest list is the Colorado 14ers which I've been working on since 1993. SIX mountains to go!! :)

It took me a couple of summers to section hike the Long Trail but am toying with the idea of doing it a little faster this summer. After all, it is the 100th anniversary of the Trail!!