How long will the snow persist in the DAKS?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
Any estimates? How quickly will the good conditions deteriorate? Snowshoes until March 30th..beyond?

J&A said:
Any estimates? How quickly will the good conditions deteriorate? Snowshoes until March 30th..beyond?

Estimates are just that, estimates. Long term averages don't mean much in a crazy year like this. (Actually, most years are crazy!). Remember 3 feet of snow in October? :eek: Your best bet is to monitor the trail conditions and trip reports in the days leading up to your trip.

BTW, where are you going? Mt. Marcy can still have snow pockets in July!

Wherever you're going, bring full Winter equipment in the car, and make an informed decision about what to bring based on the best knowledge you can find. It never hurts to be prepared for the worst!

The real determining factor there is the month of May. There have been years with a light snow cover, and everyone expected it to disappear quickly, however, a CLOUDY cool May had it remaining a long time.

The sun is the major distroyer of the snow. Warm winds are next.

I think you can add rain to that list, too. Snow has so many natural predators :mad:

Well, I have my spring break from school March 20-30 and I was hoping there would still be enough snow for snowshoes and winter gear, otherwise I'd make some different plans. Most of my hikes would probably be in the "Great" Range

J&A said:
Well, I have my spring break from school March 20-30 and I was hoping there would still be enough snow for snowshoes and winter gear, otherwise I'd make some different plans. Most of my hikes would probably be in the "Great" Range

We'll be up at the JBL from 3/19-22/06. The Great Range made easy! :D

We have 1 bunk still open at Camp O'Brien. If you want to join us, PM me.

I'll be out there this weekend, presumably doing some bc-skiing. As it looks to be very warm and somewhat rainy, I don't know how much skiing we'll get in. If there's not enough snow at lower elevations, we'll do some peak-bagging.

Anyway, I'll let you know....

It's been a strange winter!

--M.

Last edited:
J&A said:
I think you can add rain to that list, too. Snow has so many natural predators :mad:
Only if it is a warm rain. That year I was speaking of had a very wet May, but because it was cold, very little snow melted. Even right now, I look at all the rain we've had today, and it doesn't seemed to have effected the snow depth at all.

WalksWithBlackflies said:
There are reports of up to 8' at elevation. Although this weekend will be warm, it is cooling down early next week. There should be plenty of snow for you at the end of March.

Wow! Is that in a drift? I know there was at least 4' on Colvin/Blake last Sunday.

--M. said:
I'll be out there this weekend, presumably doing some bc-skiing. As it looks to be very warm and somewhat rainy, I don't know how much skiing we'll get in.

Anyway, I'll let you know....

There was NO SNOW AT ALL at the base elevations in Keene (JBL), Lake Placid, Saranac, and Tupper. By the time I got to Long Lake, ambient snow had appeared and there was PLENTY of snow at Newcomb, Santanoni & Tahawus, albeit soaking wet and melting quickly. As was said elsewhere, however, an extant snowpack will resist melting longer than one might think. Skiing and snowshoeing were both great, with proper klister and pole placements.

At higher elevations of Wallface, snow depth exceeded two feet compacted, with ice and running water everywhere.

Bottom line: things are changing very quickly at the moment, but this last weekend was A-OK.

--M.