How often do you wash your clothing and gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wash? Isn't that what brook crossings are for?:D

Base & Mid layer, every time I wear it.

The layers that spend most of the time in the pack, fleece vest shell, fleece pants, almost never, they only stay in a zip-lock bag.

liner gloves, a couple of times a year. The wind-bloc fleece say spot wash only so consequentley, they have'nt been washed, just hosed or dunked in a brook. (There's a good chance the gloves & the balaclava are getting hosed down soon.:eek::eek:)

Boots, I should take better care of them, brushing them is the way to go. The leather boots last year only got worn once or twice last year, The trail shoes got worked over pretty good & are beginning to show the abuse. At $50 or $60., I'll just replace them. The Fabric & Leathers, while I've worn them the last couple of years when not in the other footwear, I bought them when I worked at the EMS, that was 1999 for $24. (Okay so I'm related to a deposed Phillipine first lady;))

Don't wear gaiters in summer but washing them why? I'm thinking trail dirt is like a badge of courage. Are we supposed to be neat as a pin out there. (No wonder I solo so much:eek:)

I sweat a lot, even in the winter. I wash just about everything every time I get back including my fleece jacket. I just mentioned to my wife how impressed I am with my Bean fleece jacket which shows no signs of wear or deterioration even after many years of wear.

My down jacket I only wear above the tree line. If it seems sweaty, I usually just put it in the dryer. It comes out very fluffy and smelling good. To preserve the waterproofing on my ski pants I have just been putting them in the dryer.

I just read in Backpacker that a good way to kill bacteria in boots is to put them in the freezer. I may try that at the end of the season. Normally, if they are sweaty and they usually are, I place them top down over the hot air register to make sure they dry out. The hot air register works well because it's not really hot, it's just warm dry air and it works well without damaging the boots. But as I said, once the season is over I may give the boots the freezer treatment to see how it works.

What do you expect from a Girl!?

Howdy!

I wash my stuff all the time! I hike/trailrun lots and wash my sneaks every time w/ SOAP! The dirt / grime wears them down and they stink. I dry them really well by putting them near the woodstove or in the sunshine.

I was my clothing everytime also! Gloves, hats, shirts, soft shell, pants,sox, gators, shell! All of it , every single time. I either use dish detergent or liquid laundry detergent. A few items I was by hand - especially the new ones.

My stuff does not wear out from being too clean. Bushwhacking seems to be the only thing that really takes a toll on gear. And of course the miles reduces the tread on my soles.......but not my soul! :D

I once had an Oriental Rug salesman tell me that it is important to vacuum my rugs to get the dirt out. Vacuuming increases the life of the rug by removing the dirt particles which cause wear from abrasion. I feel that the same principle works for my clothing (body rugs :D)

I place them top down over the hot air register to make sure they dry out. The hot air register works well because it's not really hot, it's just warm dry air and it works well without damaging the boots.

I think Ed hits on the most important part of keeping gear in good shape, and that is to keep it dry. When we return from a trip, we fire up the woodstove and lay the gear, including boots out to dry. Even on a day like yesterday, when the weather was beautiful, I still find my down unworn parka to be cool and slightly damp after a day spent outdoors, even though it spent the whole time inside my pack. I believe that laying the contents of the pack out to dry after a hike does wonders to prevent moisture damage and extend its life.