How to pack a backpack...to correct forum

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski_adk

Reaction score
How to pack a backpack...

Okay, maybe this stuff seems obvious, but can anyone offer some advice on how to pack a backpack for an overnight stay? And as for that matter, does anyone have a checklist of the stuff one would need for a few nights out on the trail?

See, I'm looking to do some overnights during the warm season and I'm trying to acquire some decent backcountry gear. For instance, I have a great car-camping tent and sleeping bag, but they're way too heavy and cumbersome to lug on a pack. Any suggestions/rules to live by when selecting this type of gear?

Thanks for the help, you guys rock!

When I was leading trips for AMC and ADK, I put together some lists that might be helpful. They are published on the DVC Chapter AMC site:
As far as how to pack a backpack, you mightget 15 different ideas, but here is what REI says about packing

(for all 3 links below, Click on the "View Page as PDF" near the top to print out)
3-Season BackPacking List
Note to Ultralight backpackers - Feel free to start paring anywhere.
Backpacking Food

Size of Backpack

Last edited:
Packing your pack

I suppose that some of this will depend on exactly how long you are heading out for and what time of year and where, but here are some thoughts for general overnight camping in the summer time:

I have found that the bigger the bag I have, the more I tend to pack. I can comfortably fit everything that I need into a 5000 cubic inch (or smaller!!!) internal frame pack with room to spare (This includes a number of items that I tend to strap to the outside as well). When packing my bag, I have found that compartmentalizing things has made life a bit easier. I use light weight stuff sacks for my various "sections". I have broken my packing down to a few major catagories: sleeping, clothing, food, kitchen stuff, snacks, and misc. My pack also has a small pouch/top section where I can put things that I want to get easy access to, my snacks, camera, rain cover, etc.

Packing:

I tend to put my sleeping bag in the bottom of my pack. It fills that lower space, and short of an emergency situation, there are few times that one would ever need it during the day.

On top for that, I usually put my clothing bag. This stuff compresses well and fills the lower 3rd to half of my pack.

Next, I usually store my kitchen sack: stove, small pot, matches/lighter (in a ziplock), fuel canister. Adjacent to that, I carry my share of the tent. Generally I hike with another person and split this weight (1-person gets the fly and poles, the other the tent).

In a separate sack, I have my food (dinner/breakfast stuff, and lunch stores for the other days). Be especially careful with food and fuel if you're carrying white gas. Mac and Gas not as good as Mac and Cheese
:eek: On top I put my misc stuff: Map, Compass, flashlight/headlamp, small first aid kit, extra film, etc., again all in a small stuff sack.

On the outside I usually keep my water bottle(s), and thermarest/sleeping pad. I have found that by separating things, and color coding the bags, you can get to stuff easily, even if you have to unpack the whole thing for some reason. Keep the heavier stuff in the middle of your back. Don't want to be top or bottom heavy. Tends to make the hiking easier when the brunt of the weight is at center mass (slightly different for men and women I believe?). Hope that this is a bit of help.

This is a very basic article with illustrations to get you started.

And this is a good gear check-list.

Things that won't be obvious are variables like;
- are you hiking solo or can gear like tent and food be shared with someone ?
- are you hiking in an area that requires bear canisters, like the Dacks ? If so you'll need one as well as a pack large enough to carry it.
- many people do more day trips/peakbagging than multi-day, full pack hiking; what type of outings are you planning ?
- A multi day solo trip in any weather condition requires more gear than a "cherry picked" fair weather over-night with friends.
- Going light and fast is a different approach from going loaded for maximum comfort.
And so forth...

Something I've learned over the years is to use different colored stuff sacks/food sacks etc....Makes it musch easier when you need something fast.

I used to use about 4 or 5 small to medium sacks (black in color) and they drove me crazy when I needed something...Black sacks are also hard to see at night.

White gas bottles on the outside of the pack somewhere- if they're on the inside, they will inevitable leak (which means your clothes smell like gas or your food tastes like gas) :eek:

If you expect wet weather- put a big garbage bag inside as a liner.

Put your sleeping bag in a compression sack, food in a stuff sack, stove in a sack, and stuff the rest seperately (even your tent). Avoiding all of those other sacks will reduce your weight and allow for better packing. Fill every little gap- a sock here, spare t-shirt there- so it's real solid.

Keep weight distribution in mind too (as mentioned above). If the weight isn't distributed correctly or is unbalanced it will be REALLY uncomfortable, and perhaps unsafe for your body.

Good suggestions already, but here's another little tip of mine....
In addition to most things already said above, I also like to wear a small waistpack, especially if traveling solo. I wear one just big enough to store a map, compass, ziploc of trail mix, a camera--the stuff you want handy and don't want to have to stop to take off your pack. Always good to have water handy, too, whether it's a small bottle on your belt or a Camelbak type tube you can run from the backpack to your mouth.

sleeping bear said:
White gas bottles on the outside of the pack somewhere- if they're on the inside, they will inevitable leak (which means your clothes smell like gas or your food tastes like gas) :eek:

This is something I would never recommend, espec. during a Winter hike. If it's not secure you may get to camp and discover you have no fuel to melt snow. On multi-night trips in cold weather my life depends on this single item more than any other item in my pack. Also, I dont like to take the pump off my fuel bottle during a multi-day hike. If the bottle drops with the plastic pump in place the odds of breaking the pump are pretty good.

There's always a spot created when packing to slide the fuel bottle (upright) into. I use a plastic drinking cup that fits over the top of the MSR fuel bottle, nice and snug, and it protects the pump.

Last edited:
blownaway said:
sleeping bear said:

This is something I would never recommend, espec. during a Winter hike.

To each his own...
"Outside" can mean in an outside pocket as well. If it does go inside it is usually better to have it below food items, as it's better to have your clothes smell bad than gas in your food. Also, if you do the bag liner thing, you can slide the bottle OUTSIDE of the garbage bag, but still inside your pack were it can't contanimate anything.

Getting gas on your stuff is no fun.

sleeping bear said:
Put your sleeping bag in a compression sack, food in a stuff sack, stove in a sack, and stuff the rest seperately (even your tent). Avoiding all of those other sacks will reduce your weight and allow for better packing. Fill every little gap- a sock here, spare t-shirt there- so it's real solid.
Another approach is to put the miscellaneous small stuff in oversize stuff stacks. (Silnylon if you want to keep the weight down.) This keeps the stuff organized, but still allows the small stuff to shift around as necessary to fill in the voids. (In contrast if you pack the small stuff in tight stuff sacks, you will be filling your pack with large objects that cannot change shape and will leave voids.)

Doug

sleeping bear said:
White gas bottles on the outside of the pack somewhere- if they're on the inside, they will inevitable leak (which means your clothes smell like gas or your food tastes like gas) :eek: ...
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Sigg fuel bottle has never leaked in the 25 or so years I've been using it. I guess the first time this happens to me I'll move it to the outside.

fuel outside pack

I see some people put a fuel bottle in their water bottle slot. Usually a sign of a "newbie" showing off the fact he/she is on a multi-day trek.

Also, the external frame Kelty carriers have many outside zippered pockets in which to stash fuel. Internal frame packs such as the Gregory Whitney also have outside zippered pockets. To each his own here....but I would still put the pockets to better use.

I just can't justify using outerpockets for something I won't need during my hike...Space should be taken advantage of for storage of snacks, water, extra hat, gloves or mittens, maps, rain jacket in warm season, crampons in winter, supporting my hiking poles if I'm using my axe, etc. etc.....

I also, have never had a fuel bottle leak....I usually carry two in Winter so I definitely am not going to waste outside space to store two bottles...

If I were seriously worried about a fuel leak I would seal them in a plastic freezer bag...

To each his/her own.....but I would advise someone new to hiking to store their fuel upright, below food, and inside the pack....

blownaway said:
I see some people put a fuel bottle in their water bottle slot. Usually a sign of a "newbie" showing off the fact he/she is on a multi-day trek.....
Harrrumph! :confused: I've been carrying my MSR fuel bottles with the pump assembly attached (or alcohol fuel bottle) in one of my water bottle/wand pockets for years regardless of whether it is 10 day or overnght trip and I don't think I am a newbie or showing off (i'd rathr wait until the end of a trip and go into a cafe and show off my odor!!! ;) ). Just someone who found a convenient outer pocket to store my fuel bottle (always in the right pocket and Water Bottle always in the left pocket). I find it convenient, and as a creature of habit, I can always reach back (or have a buddy look :D ) and know that it is safely stowed.

Last edited:
I find it convenient, and as a creature of habit, I can always reach back (or have a buddy look :D ) and know that it is safely stowed.[/QUOTE]

I don't ever worry, or think about my fuel bottle during a hike, nor do I want my buddy worrying about this. I stow it properly, double or triple check the seal before packing and forget about it until I set up camp. I want to reach back and grab my water or gloves if I need them.

Slip/fall... break your fuel pump and your royally screwed, unless you carry a back up.

ditto on the harrumph. When the interior of your pack contains a full-size bear canister and a sleeping bag that's not just for show, there's barely enough room left for things like socks, stove, and cookware. Anything water-resistant and having a suitable shape (can be firmly lashed down, won't wobble or catch on branches) ie tent, sleeping pad, water bottles, fuel bottles, crampons, snowshoes, is a good candidate for securing to the outside of the pack.

Notice the use of plural "fuel bottles" - for long trips there's always at least two stoves and two fuel pumps in the party. I've repaired a stove at midnight in the rain, I've had pumps fail for no reason. The bottom line is, most of the stuff that's worth packing, you can't afford to have it break. For light and compact stuff like a lamp, a pump, or a stove, carry a spare or be prepared to go home. For everything else carry a repair kit or be prepared to improvise. (three cheers for duct tape...)

Bear Cannister? I can see a use for one in the Sierra's for example. East of the Mississippi the use for one is total overkill. 50ft of parachute cord and a stuff sack should be all you need.

If you need to latch that much stuff on the outside of your pack you may want to consider a bigger pack or a better packing strategy.

blownaway said:
Bear Cannister? I can see a use for one in the Sierra's for example. East of the Mississippi the use for one is total overkill. 50ft of parachute cord and a stuff sack should be all you need.
Yes, Bear Cannisters ! They are REQUIRED in some areas, like the Adirondacks, hence the mention to the Poster: "ski adk", and many carry them in other areas as well just because we believe they will help curb/prevent educating bears about our food going forward.

Last edited:
All this talk of strapping all these things to the outside of the pack...

Sounds like some folk are just packing too much (for my tastes) or don't have a big enough pack! :cool:

Bear canister not full of food? Stuff other things in there with the food (not camp clothes). And the more food you eat, the more you can stuff that canister with other things.

Where's the creativity, people :D ;)

I can't say that I've ever had a problem with leaking fuel, even at high altitude. I always wrap my fuel bottle(s) in some sort of plastic just in case, but no problems as of yet. Since I usually only use them at camp at the end of the day, I store them pretty deeply into the pack and put stuff that I'm more likely to need while hiking on top.
And I don't worry about smelling like fuel, either, but that's just because it would probably be an improvement over the smell of my socks. ;)

It might be worth replacing the cap O-rings on your fuel bottles once every blue moon or two...

I think MSR sells them. You can also get them at some hardware stores.
Neopreme is ok for gasoline. (Don't know about alcohol. It could require a different material--alcohol is hard on gaskets and hoses.) All o-rings referred to below are 1/8 in. thick neopreme. O-ring sizes are inside diameter.
* MSR bottle caps use 15/16 inch o-rings.
* The MSR GK stove pump uses a 1 1/16 inch o-ring. (Don't know about
the XGK off hand.)

Haven't had an MSR bottle leak on me yet. (I remove the pump when hiking to minimze the opportunity for leakage.)

Doug

Last edited: